Old 09-06-2012, 06:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Parsnips

Anyone got any to germinate this year? Everyone I've spoken too on our
allotment site seems to have had a total failure.

-- Regards
Bob Hobden
Posting to this Newsgroup
from the W.of London. UK

Old 09-06-2012, 07:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jun 9, 6:43*pm, "Bob Hobden" wrote:
Anyone got any to germinate this year? Everyone I've spoken too on our
allotment site seems to have had a total failure.

Mine are fine.
The seed don't like soggy wet soil (or clay). Draw out a furrow,put
sand in the bottom and sow the seed coverining with about 1/2" soil.

Raised bed is even better. I grow my show ones on a raised bed, bits
of large diam pipe.
Soil is sand and riddled re-cycle compost. Put a sheet of glass over
if there is heavy rain.

Once germinated less of a problem.
Excess water is the enemy with parsnip seed.
Old 09-06-2012, 07:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message
Anyone got any to germinate this year? Everyone I've spoken too on our
allotment site seems to have had a total failure.

They are not my favourite, but my German friend (sent her the seeds when
she came here and loved eating them for the first time) and they always seem
to work there. She sows them in the winter ( and I say absolutely not as
they have -20C) but they always seem to give her a good crop.
She lets them seed and says "what a nice weed they are!"

Tina

Old 09-06-2012, 07:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 9 Jun 2012 18:43:27 +0100, "Bob Hobden"
wrote:

Anyone got any to germinate this year? Everyone I've spoken too on our
allotment site seems to have had a total failure.

-- Regards
Bob Hobden
Posting to this Newsgroup
from the W.of London. UK

I had no joy either, but then I was sowing indoors for planting out
later. I tried to 'chit' some seed on kitchen towel as recommended
somewhere but without success. Anyway, I opened the conservatory door
on a windy day and the whole issue blew all over the floor. So I gave
up for this year...

Regards
JonH
(In West London)

p.s. Okra, Aubergines and my one viable Naga Chilli have all got
Mildew. Also, the Molluscs are rampant. Nematodes are to be deployed
after this wet spell is over.

Old 10-06-2012, 01:11 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Bob Hobden wrote:
Anyone got any to germinate this year? Everyone I've spoken too on our
allotment site seems to have had a total failure.

Mine all failed, but the plot next to us whose went to seed have seeded
our plot with their wind-blown volunteers!

Old 10-06-2012, 08:06 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Bob Hobden wrote:

Anyone got any to germinate this year? Everyone I've spoken too on our
allotment site seems to have had a total failure.

-- Regards
Bob Hobden
Posting to this Newsgroup
from the W.of London. UK

Mine are dooing well, all three rows. I started them in the
conservatory in peat filled toilet roll holders, and planted them out
the moment the tap root showed at the bottom of the roll. I've done
this for years now, and it always works well. The joy of it is that any
that don't germinatate indoors can be boosted with additional seed. I
therefore get 100% with every tube. Eventually that is.

Last year my parsnips were particularly good. I have hopes for this
year.

Peter

--
It is necessary for the good man to do nothing for evil to triumph.

Attributed to Edmund Burke 1729 - 1797
Old 10-06-2012, 03:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Christina Websell" wrote

"Bob Hobden" wrote
Anyone got any to germinate this year? Everyone I've spoken too on our
allotment site seems to have had a total failure.

They are not my favourite, but my German friend (sent her the seeds when
she came here and loved eating them for the first time) and they always
seem to work there. She sows them in the winter ( and I say absolutely not
as they have -20C) but they always seem to give her a good crop.
She lets them seed and says "what a nice weed they are!"

So from that I wonder if the seed likes a cold period before germination.
However, self saved seed always seems much better at germinating than bought
seed.
Sowed another row today, here's hoping.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 10-06-2012, 03:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Peter James" wrote ...

Bob Hobden wrote:

Anyone got any to germinate this year? Everyone I've spoken too on our
allotment site seems to have had a total failure.

Mine are dooing well, all three rows. I started them in the
conservatory in peat filled toilet roll holders, and planted them out
the moment the tap root showed at the bottom of the roll. I've done
this for years now, and it always works well. The joy of it is that any
that don't germinatate indoors can be boosted with additional seed. I
therefore get 100% with every tube. Eventually that is.

Last year my parsnips were particularly good. I have hopes for this
year.

I'm beginning to wonder if I should plant in Rootrainers (posh toilet rolls
in effect) in future and save my own seed.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

parsnips skeletonized simy1 Edible Gardening 3 17-07-2005 04:59 PM
Parsnips shazzbat United Kingdom 5 26-02-2004 08:55 PM
Bitter Parsnips Charles Drown United Kingdom 22 13-02-2004 02:51 PM
pixie lilies and parsnips shannie United Kingdom 2 22-07-2003 04:11 AM
pixie lilies and parsnips shannie United Kingdom 0 21-07-2003 02:55 AM