Old 10-06-2012, 03:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default Parsnips

"Christina Websell" wrote

"Bob Hobden" wrote
Anyone got any to germinate this year? Everyone I've spoken too on our
allotment site seems to have had a total failure.

They are not my favourite, but my German friend (sent her the seeds when
she came here and loved eating them for the first time) and they always
seem to work there. She sows them in the winter ( and I say absolutely not
as they have -20C) but they always seem to give her a good crop.
She lets them seed and says "what a nice weed they are!"

So from that I wonder if the seed likes a cold period before germination.
However, self saved seed always seems much better at germinating than bought
seed.
Sowed another row today, here's hoping.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.