Old 22-04-2003, 01:44 PM
Billy M. Rhodes

Default [IBC] Hawthorn transplanting

In a message dated 4/22/2003 6:34:31 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
writes:

I cut off almost all the roots (some also by mistake
). The buds are (already) swelling, so I'm not too worried at the
moment.

Not to throw cold water on your tree, but frequently trees will swell buds
from stored resources only to later die back for lack of roots to support the
growth. It is a fine line between allowing enough buds to develop to feed
the new roots and allowing too many to drain the tree's resources before it
can develop the new roots.
Billy on the Florida Space Coast

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --