Old 11-06-2012, 11:42 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default The game may be up

On Mon, 11 Jun 2012 10:45:06 +0100, Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:

More googling finds agricultural land going for £10,000 per acre,

Acre or hectare? I thought agri land was sold by the hectare these
days and a hectare is nearly 2 1/2 acres. I get the impression from
"Farming Today" that 10k/hectare would be the top price for top
quality farmland not some tiny random bit of ground with housing
around it.

I was guessing a larger number of allotments.

Not surprising as a normal allotment is 1/16 of an acre and this land
is supposed to be 3.85 acres = 61 1/16ths. So with space for paths or
silly corners etc 50 plots would be expected. That seems quite a
difference are these large plots or is the quoted land area
incorrect?

The rent on 31 allotments wouldn't provide a competitive return on an
investment of £75,000, even before you take expenses into account.

This is true, £25/year/plot on 31 plots would return about 1% before
expenses.

--
Cheers
Dave.