Old 15-06-2012, 08:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jake Jake is offline

Default Compost

On Fri, 15 Jun 2012 20:00:27 +0100, David Hill
wrote:

On 15/06/2012 19:33, Judith wrote:
On Fri, 15 Jun 2012 09:11:57 +0100,
wrote:

Judith wrote:

I have just bought a 40l bag of compost.

On the bag it says "With added John Innes"; surely that is a meaningless
statement.

I suppose it is in one way. John Innes is really a formulation based on
loam (cut turf, stack in a pile and let rot), sand or grit, peat and a
nutrient formula based on growth stage. I have always found it a bit
heavy. I find peat 'light' so I suppose if I was buying peat and it said
it had added JI i would be expecting a heavier peat mix. If you are into
this then you should be mixing you own devilish concoction. oh by the
way Which has again given Bribery and Quackery there top mark for own
brand compost, do not buy anything else from there though, go to an
independant nursery.

Interesting - that is the one which I thought was absolute rubbish this year
(after good previous years) - all sorts of foreign bits in it - including wood
and plastic. However - after I had posted here - I opened the third bag of the
three I had bought, and it was totally different. No "rubbish" in it at all.

All three bags looked the same - all "Verve". That is why I was buying other
than B&Q !!

Verve is B&Q's "Own Brand" now
david

I didn't realise that "verve" meant "shite"!

Was looking in my local B&Q for some top up bedding. Verve brand=6
dead plants for a fiver. Pack after pack unwatered. There must have
been close on £1,000 worth (at retail prices) that no sensible person
would ever touch. Local nursery selling 6 thriving plants (in pots not
polystyrene) for under £3.

Cheers, Jake
Urgling from Swansea Bay. Dave's at that end; I'm at this end.
Bill G's in the middle. Come to think of it, where is Bill G these days?