Old 11-06-2012, 05:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Compost

I have just bought a 40l bag of compost.

On the bag it says "With added John Innes"; surely that is a meaningless
statement.

Old 11-06-2012, 06:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 11 Jun 2012 17:18:12 +0100, Judith wrote:

I have just bought a 40l bag of compost.

On the bag it says "With added John Innes"; surely that is a meaningless
statement.

Well he'll be well rotted by now.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Old 15-06-2012, 09:11 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Judith wrote:

I have just bought a 40l bag of compost.

On the bag it says "With added John Innes"; surely that is a meaningless
statement.

I suppose it is in one way. John Innes is really a formulation based on
loam (cut turf, stack in a pile and let rot), sand or grit, peat and a
nutrient formula based on growth stage. I have always found it a bit
heavy. I find peat 'light' so I suppose if I was buying peat and it said
it had added JI i would be expecting a heavier peat mix. If you are into
this then you should be mixing you own devilish concoction. oh by the
way Which has again given Bribery and Quackery there top mark for own
brand compost, do not buy anything else from there though, go to an
independant nursery.

Old 15-06-2012, 09:28 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article m,
dickie2012 writes
Which has again given Bribery and Quackery there top mark for own brand
compost

Well I've had good compost from there in the past - but this year what
I've had has been pretty atrocious. (ISTR it now comes 'branded' with
some poncey name).

I've had loads of unrotted vegetation of dubious origin in it - as well
as string, great lumps of I don't know what and several pieces of wood -
at least one of which was enormous.

--
regards andyw
Old 15-06-2012, 12:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

news wrote:
In article m,
dickie2012 writes
Which has again given Bribery and Quackery there top mark for own
brand compost

Well I've had good compost from there in the past - but this year what
I've had has been pretty atrocious. (ISTR it now comes 'branded' with
some poncey name).

I've had loads of unrotted vegetation of dubious origin in it - as well
as string, great lumps of I don't know what and several pieces of wood -
at least one of which was enormous.

from what you have described you could probably take it back under the
trade descriptions act, that doesn't sound like compost. thanks for the
heads up. Maybe I will try a local nursery and see what they use next time.

Old 15-06-2012, 07:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 15 Jun 2012 09:11:57 +0100, dickie2012
wrote:

Judith wrote:

I have just bought a 40l bag of compost.

On the bag it says "With added John Innes"; surely that is a meaningless
statement.

I suppose it is in one way. John Innes is really a formulation based on
loam (cut turf, stack in a pile and let rot), sand or grit, peat and a
nutrient formula based on growth stage. I have always found it a bit
heavy. I find peat 'light' so I suppose if I was buying peat and it said
it had added JI i would be expecting a heavier peat mix. If you are into
this then you should be mixing you own devilish concoction. oh by the
way Which has again given Bribery and Quackery there top mark for own
brand compost, do not buy anything else from there though, go to an
independant nursery.

Interesting - that is the one which I thought was absolute rubbish this year
(after good previous years) - all sorts of foreign bits in it - including wood
and plastic. However - after I had posted here - I opened the third bag of the
three I had bought, and it was totally different. No "rubbish" in it at all.

All three bags looked the same - all "Verve". That is why I was buying other
than B&Q !!
Old 15-06-2012, 08:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

Verve is B&Q's "Own Brand" now
david
Old 15-06-2012, 08:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

Judith wrote:

[...]

I didn't realise that "verve" meant "shite"!

Was looking in my local B&Q for some top up bedding. Verve brand=6
dead plants for a fiver. Pack after pack unwatered. There must have
been close on £1,000 worth (at retail prices) that no sensible person
would ever touch. Local nursery selling 6 thriving plants (in pots not
polystyrene) for under £3.

Cheers, Jake
=======================================
Urgling from Swansea Bay. Dave's at that end; I'm at this end.
Bill G's in the middle. Come to think of it, where is Bill G these days?
Old 15-06-2012, 10:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

B&Q special offer: Dead plants, half price.
Old 16-06-2012, 10:36 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

All three bags looked the same - all "Verve". That is why I was buying other
than B&Q !!

Verve is B&Q's "Own Brand" now
david

I think it's who has won the tender for making it for them.
It might be someone else next year.

Worth complaining to B&Q - even taking it back to them.

They will need to raise the standards if enough people do it.
--
http://www.voucherfreebies.co.uk

Old 16-06-2012, 11:59 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

All three bags looked the same - all "Verve". That is why I was buying other
than B&Q !!

Verve is B&Q's "Own Brand" now
david

I think it's who has won the tender for making it for them.
It might be someone else next year.

Worth complaining to B&Q - even taking it back to them.

They will need to raise the standards if enough people do it.

As I have said here before, go onto their web site find the product
http://www.diy.com/nav/garden/grow-y...___fertilisers

and write a review

about the compost, if enough people rate it as 1 star then they may
take notice.