Old 16-06-2012, 04:03 AM posted to rec.gardens
Todd[_2_] Todd[_2_] is offline

Default unknown plant... HELP!!

On 06/15/2012 10:17 AM, David E. Ross wrote:
On 6/15/12 8:55 AM, Dan Espen wrote:
blossom hill writes:

thank you for your help i have found this on wikipedia and its full name
is Euphorbia lathyris by wikipedia's records it is not a weed but a
plant...

All weeds are plants.

A weed is simply a plant out of place.

And a volunteer is an interesting weed.

In my college days, my "Economic Botany" class stated about
weeds:

1) edible plants that were cultivated at one time, then
rejected (dandelions, purslane, plantain), and

2) have small seeds (purslane) or seeds that match accepted
plants, and

3) grow on "disturbed soil" (meaning walked on, turned over,
plowed). Ever notice that Dandelions love cow pastures?

One solution to them is to eat them (make sure they really
are edible before tempting this: some folks idea of what
constitutes a weed are different than the above.).
Dandelions are good for the liver, but makes you
pee A LOT.

Purslane is probably the most nutritious edible plant
there is and is easy as hell to grow. (The one plant I have
no problem growing. Okay, Dandelions love me too, but I
don't try to grow them). Purslane tastes like watercress.
Eat it in salads, on hamburgers, with tomatoes, or just plain
straight. Great source of EPA/DHA.

The other solution is to shake your fist at them and accuse
their parents of not being married.

My Lemon Cucumbers are dying though. :'(

-T