Old 15-06-2012, 10:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Pam Moore[_2_] Pam Moore[_2_] is offline

Default What lpant/flower/weed is this?

On Fri, 15 Jun 2012 17:07:58 +0100, Chris Hogg wrote:

On Fri, 15 Jun 2012 16:55:29 +0100, Terry Pinnell
wrote:

Could someone identify this plant for me please?

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/4019461/WhatPlant.JPG

It was abundant on the railway cuttings and banks of the West Coast
London-Scotland line when we traveled last summer.

Rosebay Willowherb, Epilobum angustifolium, see
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epilobium_angustifolium or
http://www.gardenorganic.org.uk/orga...eed.php?id=116,
sometimes known as Fireweed because of its habit (allegedly) of
growing profusely on areas recently scorched by fire. Bees love it.

It was one of the first "weeds" to grow on bomb-sites after the war.
Isn't it beautiful. If it was a new plant at Chelsea everyone would
want it - but yes it seeds everywhere.

Pam in Bristol