Old 15-06-2012, 04:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default What lpant/flower/weed is this?

Could someone identify this plant for me please?

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/4019461/WhatPlant.JPG

It was abundant on the railway cuttings and banks of the West Coast
London-Scotland line when we traveled last summer.

--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK
Old 15-06-2012, 05:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 06/15/2012 05:55 PM, Terry Pinnell wrote:
Could someone identify this plant for me please?

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/4019461/WhatPlant.JPG

It was abundant on the railway cuttings and banks of the West Coast
London-Scotland line when we traveled last summer.

Can't remember what it's called, though someone will surely know.
Anyway just chiming in because I grow it as a perennial in containers,
it's very pretty and indestructible, which is a good combination.
Old 15-06-2012, 05:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Chris Hogg" wrote ...

Terry Pinnell wrote:

Could someone identify this plant for me please?

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/4019461/WhatPlant.JPG

It was abundant on the railway cuttings and banks of the West Coast
London-Scotland line when we traveled last summer.

Rosebay Willowherb, Epilobum angustifolium, see
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epilobium_angustifolium or
http://www.gardenorganic.org.uk/orga...eed.php?id=116,
sometimes known as Fireweed because of its habit (allegedly) of
growing profusely on areas recently scorched by fire. Bees love it.

And if you let it seed you will regret it and so will your neighbours! IME.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 15-06-2012, 06:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 15 Jun 2012 16:55:29 +0100, Terry Pinnell
wrote:

Could someone identify this plant for me please?

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/4019461/WhatPlant.JPG

It was abundant on the railway cuttings and banks of the West Coast
London-Scotland line when we traveled last summer.

It's Rosebay Willowherb. It's very invasive so don't try to encourage
it!

Steve

--
Neural Network Software. http://www.npsl1.com

Old 15-06-2012, 06:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

Could someone identify this plant for me please?

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/4019461/WhatPlant.JPG

It was abundant on the railway cuttings and banks of the West Coast
London-Scotland line when we traveled last summer.

It's Rosebay Willowherb. It's very invasive so don't try to encourage
it!

Steve

Also available in white

Old 15-06-2012, 07:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

Could someone identify this plant for me please?

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/4019461/WhatPlant.JPG

It was abundant on the railway cuttings and banks of the West Coast
London-Scotland line when we traveled last summer.

It's Rosebay Willowherb. It's very invasive so don't try to encourage
it!

Steve

Also available in white

Thanks all, much appreciated.

--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK
Old 15-06-2012, 09:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message
"Chris Hogg" wrote ...

Terry Pinnell wrote:

Could someone identify this plant for me please?

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/4019461/WhatPlant.JPG

It was abundant on the railway cuttings and banks of the West Coast
London-Scotland line when we traveled last summer.

Rosebay Willowherb, Epilobum angustifolium, see
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epilobium_angustifolium or
http://www.gardenorganic.org.uk/orga...eed.php?id=116,
sometimes known as Fireweed because of its habit (allegedly) of
growing profusely on areas recently scorched by fire. Bees love it.

And if you let it seed you will regret it and so will your neighbours!
IME.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

It's the food plant of the elephant hawk moth. Since my neighbour got rid
of all his rosebay willow herb a couple of years ago, haven't seen any.
When my cat was a bit younger, he sometimes used to bring the caterpillars
home still wriggling and often unharmed. They are so big I think he must
have thought they were some sort of naked baby mouse or something.

Tina

Old 15-06-2012, 10:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

Could someone identify this plant for me please?

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/4019461/WhatPlant.JPG

It was abundant on the railway cuttings and banks of the West Coast
London-Scotland line when we traveled last summer.

Rosebay Willowherb, Epilobum angustifolium, see
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epilobium_angustifolium or
http://www.gardenorganic.org.uk/orga...eed.php?id=116,
sometimes known as Fireweed because of its habit (allegedly) of
growing profusely on areas recently scorched by fire. Bees love it.

It was one of the first "weeds" to grow on bomb-sites after the war.
Isn't it beautiful. If it was a new plant at Chelsea everyone would
want it - but yes it seeds everywhere.

Pam in Bristol
Old 15-06-2012, 11:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

Could someone identify this plant for me please?

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/4019461/WhatPlant.JPG

It was abundant on the railway cuttings and banks of the West Coast
London-Scotland line when we traveled last summer.

It's Rosebay Willowherb. It's very invasive so don't try to encourage
it!

Steve

Also available in white

No, you are confusing it with red campion (very similar plant) which is also
has a white form.
Tina

Old 15-06-2012, 11:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
says...

wrote:

Could someone identify this plant for me please?

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/4019461/WhatPlant.JPG

It was abundant on the railway cuttings and banks of the West Coast
London-Scotland line when we traveled last summer.

It's Rosebay Willowherb. It's very invasive so don't try to encourage
it!

Steve

Also available in white

No, you are confusing it with red campion (very similar plant) which is also
has a white form.
Tina

Nope. There's a white form of willowherb. Red campion is nothing
remotely like willowherb.

Janet

Old 15-06-2012, 11:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Christina Websell
writes

http://www.cgf.net/plants.aspx?id=8&...enus=EPILOBIUM
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 16-06-2012, 09:50 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

Could someone identify this plant for me please?

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/4019461/WhatPlant.JPG

It was abundant on the railway cuttings and banks of the West Coast
London-Scotland line when we traveled last summer.

It's Rosebay Willowherb. It's very invasive so don't try to encourage
it!

Steve

Also available in white

No, you are confusing it with red campion (very similar plant) which is also
has a white form.
Tina

NO TINA
I grow the white form and it's not campion, I do know the differance.
Its Chamerion angustifolium 'Album'
Not Campion
David @ the wet and windy end of Swansea Bay