Old 19-06-2012, 12:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jake Jake is offline

Default Lawns

On Tue, 19 Jun 2012 11:44:21 +0100, Rob wrote:

I recently had the misfortune to lose my lawn after a contractor applied
excessive weed killer. Has anyone suffered this problem. I would be
interested to know the outcome

If, as I guess, you're asking about the possibility of redress then
you might want to ask in uk.legal.

If the contractor was a franchisee for one of the national companies
then the company might respond favourably to a request for
compensation as they will want to maintain their reputation. But are
you certain that it was an over-application of weedkiller? Granular
weed and feed stuff will often "burn" the lawn because it's almost
impossible not to double apply at the joins but the grass may blacken
but will usually recover. I've never known an over-application of
liquid weedkiller to be an issue.

Other possibilities include that the grass was cut within a few days
before application - the recently cut ends can be vulnerable - or that
the wrong chemical was used.

Unless you can achieve something on a "goodwill" basis, it will all
boil down to being able to prove negligence which may be easier said
than done, hence the sugestion of asking in the other newsgroup.
Alternatively you may have an insurance policy which includes legal
helpline cover for all sorts of issues and may be able to get some
basic advice through your insurer.

HTH

Cheers, Jake
Urgling from Swansea Bay. Dave's at that end; I'm at this end.
Bill G's in the middle. Come to think of it, where is Bill G these days?