Old 19-06-2012, 11:44 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rob Rob is offline

Default Lawns

I recently had the misfortune to lose my lawn after a contractor applied
excessive weed killer. Has anyone suffered this problem. I would be
interested to know the outcome
Old 19-06-2012, 12:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 19 Jun 2012 11:44:21 +0100, Rob wrote:

I recently had the misfortune to lose my lawn after a contractor applied
excessive weed killer. Has anyone suffered this problem. I would be
interested to know the outcome

If, as I guess, you're asking about the possibility of redress then
you might want to ask in uk.legal.

If the contractor was a franchisee for one of the national companies
then the company might respond favourably to a request for
compensation as they will want to maintain their reputation. But are
you certain that it was an over-application of weedkiller? Granular
weed and feed stuff will often "burn" the lawn because it's almost
impossible not to double apply at the joins but the grass may blacken
but will usually recover. I've never known an over-application of
liquid weedkiller to be an issue.

Other possibilities include that the grass was cut within a few days
before application - the recently cut ends can be vulnerable - or that
the wrong chemical was used.

Unless you can achieve something on a "goodwill" basis, it will all
boil down to being able to prove negligence which may be easier said
than done, hence the sugestion of asking in the other newsgroup.
Alternatively you may have an insurance policy which includes legal
helpline cover for all sorts of issues and may be able to get some
basic advice through your insurer.

HTH

Cheers, Jake
=======================================
Urgling from Swansea Bay. Dave's at that end; I'm at this end.
Bill G's in the middle. Come to think of it, where is Bill G these days?
Old 19-06-2012, 12:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 19 Jun 2012 11:44:21 +0100, Rob wrote:

I recently had the misfortune to lose my lawn after a contractor applied
excessive weed killer. Has anyone suffered this problem. I would be
interested to know the outcome

Yes, I had that happen about 30 years ago. The lawn took a long time
to recover and it never looked good again. About ten years ago I had
the lawn removed completely ad have not regretted it.

Steve

--
Neural Network Software. http://www.npsl1.com

Old 19-06-2012, 01:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Chris Hogg wrote:

A neighbour used a proprietary selective weedkiller on their lawn,
following the manufacturer's instructions, and it killed the grass
wherever they used it. They complained to said manufacturer, who were
effusively apologetic because the stuff had been made up at the wrong
strength in the factory.

Is it just me, or is it a real pain getting the conditions right,
especially for the powders?

Not too dry, not raining, but rain soon enough to wash it in, not
within 4 days either side of cutting, calm enough that it doesn't
blow across the garden...

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.
Old 19-06-2012, 01:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 19 Jun 2012 13:30:32 +0100, Chris J Dixon
wrote:

Chris Hogg wrote:

A neighbour used a proprietary selective weedkiller on their lawn,
following the manufacturer's instructions, and it killed the grass
wherever they used it. They complained to said manufacturer, who were
effusively apologetic because the stuff had been made up at the wrong
strength in the factory.

Is it just me, or is it a real pain getting the conditions right,
especially for the powders?

Not too dry, not raining, but rain soon enough to wash it in, not
within 4 days either side of cutting, calm enough that it doesn't
blow across the garden...

Chris

You missed out ground wet but grass dry. If I'm ever asked, I always
recommend liquid products as they are virtually impossible to overdose
and a lot safer when pets and children are around as once dry there's
no risk.

Cheers, Jake
=======================================

Old 20-06-2012, 08:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rob Rob is offline

On 19/06/2012 12:29, Jake wrote:
[...]

Tks 4 the post Jake. It was a spray . I think your point about
reputation/goodwill
will be my 1st attempt.. Will cross each bridge when I come to it. I'm
talking 1300sqm
what would be the price per sqm for turf avge qual ?

Old 20-06-2012, 09:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 20 Jun 2012 20:11:57 +0100, Rob wrote:

Tks 4 the post Jake. It was a spray . I think your point about
reputation/goodwill
will be my 1st attempt.. Will cross each bridge when I come to it. I'm
talking 1300sqm
what would be the price per sqm for turf avge qual ?

How long's a piece of string? Price depends on where you are and what
you mean by average quality. Around here, a ryegrass-based turf can
cost between £2.50 and £3.50 a square metre without allowing for any
bulk discount. But it's not just the price of the turf. The old turf
has to be removed, the soil tested for residual weedkiller and then
prepared and the turf laid. There's after-care - new turf may need
more watering depending on weather. You need to factor in ALL costs on
a non-DIY basis. You may also want to consider lost earnings if you
need to be at home when your turfing contractors are there. There's
also the lost amenity factor - you are unable to use your garden
properly at a time when most people will want to use it (even after
turfing, you need to keep traffic to a minimum until the turf knits
which effectively rules out enjoyment of your lawn for the summer).
You can be generous in return and discount for the saving on
petrol/electricity for cutting the lawn - just to show you're being
reasonable when you ask for several thousand pounds!

Cheers, Jake

Lawns & God Bruce Yates Gardening 13 18-06-2003 11:56 PM
Green Lawns NoGi Australia 5 05-04-2003 06:36 AM
Lawns - Mind your own business - and it does [email protected] United Kingdom 2 14-03-2003 08:53 AM
Field Woodrush in Lawns Derek Carver United Kingdom 3 27-01-2003 12:02 PM
Snowdrops in Lawns - especially mine! Tumbleweed United Kingdom 0 16-10-2002 06:51 AM