Old 27-06-2012, 12:52 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Purslane?

George wrote:
I've been (not-very-successfully) fighting purslane in our garden for
years. Now, I hear that maybe it's a beneficial companion. ...
(http://www.ehow.com/facts_7215746_pu...on-plants.html

Or maybe just wishful thinking? If anyone has had any good
experiences with it, I'd appreciate hearing.

Thanks,

(I realize it's considered a delicacy in France. 'nuf said.)

The idea of multi-planting is not new. If you need some ground cover (other
than mulch) then under planting larger plants with a low growing herb will
be fine as long as there is not too much root competition, or as long as you
find the compromise satisfactory. It is very common to under plant
ornamentals (eg roses) so why not annuals and edibles? If you have no use
for one of the plants however the result is not such a good use of space.
Instead of making assumptions about purslane try it in a salad and see if
you like it - if your Francophobia permits :-)

There is much waffle published about 'companion planting' along the lines of
"X likes Y but not Z". Except for cases of allopathy where X produces an
identifiable substance that limits the growth of Z, there is little evidence
to show that these likes and dislikes are anything substantial. This does
not seem to be the effect that is described in the linked article but it is
what many mean by 'companion planting' so before discussing you probably
should find out what is intended.

David