Old 22-04-2003, 05:56 PM
Timothy

Default Tractor needs more traction!!!

On Sun, 20 Apr 2003 20:40:30 +0000, Oscar_lives wrote:

I have a 18hp Toro/WheelHorse lawn tractor (one-year old) that doesn't get
enough traction for mowing my yard. I have popped the bead on the rear
tires and poured in as much anti-freeze/water mixture as I could get in
them. This helped some, but I still don't get good traction on my hilly
yard.

My grass isn't unusual-- just fescue/blue grass, but my yard is pretty
hilly. The frequent wheel spins when turning or maneuvering, or going up
and down hills is tearing up my grass. Any ideas?

There's only so much a machine can do and it looks like you found your
toro's limit. You'll have issues mowing any grade over 12% to 15%. You'll
be able to mow more of a grade when dry, less when wet. Your best bet is
to try to change your mowing pattern. Take a tip from the old Ohio Valley
farmers and try to contour mow your lawn. Find the easiest path up to the
top of a hill section and mow along the ridges. Try not to take the hills
straight on, work mowing along the ridge line and mow the areas that are
too steep by going down the hill only. This will solve a good deal of the
problem, but I'm afraid you'll always have issues at the steepest areas.
Or you could build a tractor that runs on belt treads.... hehehe.
Good luck and be carefull

--
http://yard-works.netfirms.com