Old 20-04-2003, 09:44 PM
Oscar_lives

Default Tractor needs more traction!!!

I have a 18hp Toro/WheelHorse lawn tractor (one-year old) that doesn't get
enough traction for mowing my yard. I have popped the bead on the rear
tires and poured in as much anti-freeze/water mixture as I could get in
them. This helped some, but I still don't get good traction on my hilly
yard.

My grass isn't unusual-- just fescue/blue grass, but my yard is pretty
hilly. The frequent wheel spins when turning or maneuvering, or going up
and down hills is tearing up my grass. Any ideas?

Thanks

Old 21-04-2003, 02:22 PM
Steve

Oscar_lives wrote in message
I have a 18hp Toro/WheelHorse lawn tractor (one-year old) that doesn't get
enough traction for mowing my yard. I have popped the bead on the rear
tires and poured in as much anti-freeze/water mixture as I could get in
them. This helped some, but I still don't get good traction on my hilly
yard.

My grass isn't unusual-- just fescue/blue grass, but my yard is pretty
hilly. The frequent wheel spins when turning or maneuvering, or going up
and down hills is tearing up my grass. Any ideas?

Thanks

Eat more ice cream and cookies to get heavier. Or try wheel weights.

Old 21-04-2003, 09:08 PM
Dave W

I occasionally have the same problem, but shifting my weight (like sail
boating) out over the slipping wheel usual solves the problem. I some times
stand and lean forward going up hill to prevent "wheelies"
Dave

Old 22-04-2003, 02:08 PM
Oscar_lives

What about tire pressure? Would lowering it help?

The manual says to use 25 psig all around.

Old 22-04-2003, 05:56 PM
Timothy

On Sun, 20 Apr 2003 20:40:30 +0000, Oscar_lives wrote:

I have a 18hp Toro/WheelHorse lawn tractor (one-year old) that doesn't get
enough traction for mowing my yard. I have popped the bead on the rear
tires and poured in as much anti-freeze/water mixture as I could get in
them. This helped some, but I still don't get good traction on my hilly
yard.

My grass isn't unusual-- just fescue/blue grass, but my yard is pretty
hilly. The frequent wheel spins when turning or maneuvering, or going up
and down hills is tearing up my grass. Any ideas?

There's only so much a machine can do and it looks like you found your
toro's limit. You'll have issues mowing any grade over 12% to 15%. You'll
be able to mow more of a grade when dry, less when wet. Your best bet is
to try to change your mowing pattern. Take a tip from the old Ohio Valley
farmers and try to contour mow your lawn. Find the easiest path up to the
top of a hill section and mow along the ridges. Try not to take the hills
straight on, work mowing along the ridge line and mow the areas that are
too steep by going down the hill only. This will solve a good deal of the
problem, but I'm afraid you'll always have issues at the steepest areas.
Or you could build a tractor that runs on belt treads.... hehehe.
Good luck and be carefull

--
http://yard-works.netfirms.com

Old 30-04-2003, 04:56 PM
Joan Woods

I have heard recently that the tires of the lawn mower can be filled with
jell for better traction on hillsides. I have a rather steep hill to mow
and would like to know if anyone has experience with doing this and if so
how is it done and how it works.
JZW

Old 01-05-2003, 01:20 AM
Oscar_lives

I wish I had a solution. My neighbor thinks I should keep the tire chains
on all year, but I think this will tear up the yard.

rthlink.net...

Old 01-05-2003, 01:44 AM

"Oscar_lives" wrote:
I wish I had a solution. My neighbor thinks I should keep the tire
chains on all year, but I think this will tear up the yard.

Good point,Oscar. The crabgrass and other non-desirables
get to invade,wherever you injur the turf. Those chains
are like mini-tillers sometimes.

--
GO# 40
http://NewsReader.Com/
Old 03-05-2003, 04:20 AM
Oscar_lives

How about those AG tires?

Are they any better?

Old 03-05-2003, 12:44 PM

"Oscar_lives" wrote:
How about those AG tires?

Are they any better?

wrote in message
"Oscar_lives" wrote:
I wish I had a solution. My neighbor thinks I should keep the tire
chains on all year, but I think this will tear up the yard.

Good point,Oscar. The crabgrass and other non-desirables
get to invade,wherever you injur the turf. Those chains
are like mini-tillers sometimes.

They work well on my equipment but,my gear is heavier than a lawn tractor.

--
GO# 40
http://NewsReader.Com/

My new Craftsman garden tractor needs an alignment bad!!! [email protected] Lawns 15 27-09-2007 04:32 AM
Add 1 more tractor Srgnt Billko Lawns 0 12-11-2006 12:52 AM
Heavy Duty -- Good Traction Mower? James Nipper Lawns 0 27-03-2004 05:02 AM