Old 02-07-2012, 03:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Moonraker Moonraker is offline

Default Quantify "sow thinly"

On 02/07/2012 13:41, Baz wrote:
Chris ] wrote in ]:

Carrot seed packet says "sow thinly".
Numbers needed!
1 per inch?
4 per inch?
8 per inch?
Or what?

I say roughly 12 or 13 per inch in the bed.
But the seed is so small that unless you are meticulous in sowing it is
very hard to tell.
My daughter-in-law uses tweezers in bog roll cardboard filled with a mix of
soil and compost. She has the eyesight and patience for it. Not for me, I
just drop a few into them and thin them before planting.

Baz

Another possibility is, if it specifies, say, the plants to being
thinned to 6" apart sow a small number of seeds every 6". The seedlings
can then be thinned to singled ones, and will be every 6". Saves on
seeds, and a little work.