Old 02-07-2012, 09:16 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Quantify "sow thinly"

Carrot seed packet says "sow thinly".
Numbers needed!
1 per inch?
4 per inch?
8 per inch?
Or what?
--
Chris
Old 02-07-2012, 09:32 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Chris" ] wrote in message
]...
Carrot seed packet says "sow thinly".
Numbers needed!
1 per inch?
4 per inch?
8 per inch?
Or what?
--
Chris

Rather like the sign on the shop door "Back Soon" or "Back in 10 minutes" 10
minutes from when? 9 minutes ago or 1 minute ago

Mike

Old 02-07-2012, 01:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Chris ] wrote in ]:

Carrot seed packet says "sow thinly".
Numbers needed!
1 per inch?
4 per inch?
8 per inch?
Or what?

I say roughly 12 or 13 per inch in the bed.
But the seed is so small that unless you are meticulous in sowing it is
very hard to tell.
My daughter-in-law uses tweezers in bog roll cardboard filled with a mix of
soil and compost. She has the eyesight and patience for it. Not for me, I
just drop a few into them and thin them before planting.

Baz
Old 02-07-2012, 03:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 02/07/2012 13:41, Baz wrote:
Chris ] wrote in ]:

Carrot seed packet says "sow thinly".
Numbers needed!
1 per inch?
4 per inch?
8 per inch?
Or what?

I say roughly 12 or 13 per inch in the bed.
But the seed is so small that unless you are meticulous in sowing it is
very hard to tell.
My daughter-in-law uses tweezers in bog roll cardboard filled with a mix of
soil and compost. She has the eyesight and patience for it. Not for me, I
just drop a few into them and thin them before planting.

Baz

Another possibility is, if it specifies, say, the plants to being
thinned to 6" apart sow a small number of seeds every 6". The seedlings
can then be thinned to singled ones, and will be every 6". Saves on
seeds, and a little work.

Old 02-07-2012, 03:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 02/07/2012 13:41, Baz wrote:
] wrote in ]:

Carrot seed packet says "sow thinly".
Numbers needed!
1 per inch?
4 per inch?
8 per inch?
Or what?

I say roughly 12 or 13 per inch in the bed.
But the seed is so small that unless you are meticulous in sowing it is
very hard to tell.
My daughter-in-law uses tweezers in bog roll cardboard filled with a mix of
soil and compost. She has the eyesight and patience for it. Not for me, I
just drop a few into them and thin them before planting.

Baz

Just worth adding that the main reason for sowing thinly is to avoid, as
far as possible, having to thin the plants subsequently. This is
because the strong scent of carrot foilage will increase during
thinning, thus attracting the dreaded Carrot Fly.

--
Spider
from high ground in SE London

Old 02-07-2012, 06:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Monday, 2 July 2012 15:47:23 UTC+1, Spider wrote:
On 02/07/2012 13:41, Baz wrote:
] wrote in ]:

[...]

Also many plants raised from seed, especially annuals if they are too dense will compete with one another and run to flower and seed much too soon and too small - few if any will prosper. Once they start to look stunted and show signs of flowering it's too late to do anything about it (Observe the behaviour of some of the ephemeral weeds like hairy bitter cress or thale cress to see what I mean). So have an image in your mind of the right size for a good flowering specimen of the plant and thin to allow room for development.

Rod
Old 02-07-2012, 09:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Chris ] wrote:
Carrot seed packet says "sow thinly".
Numbers needed!
1 per inch?
4 per inch?
8 per inch?
Or what?

Depends on how old your seed is and what pests you're having trouble with.
I sowed thinly, in cardboard tubes, and 3 out of about 200 came up. Then
I sowed thickerly (!) and I started getting about 1" coming through which
was about a 5% success rate, and then something came along and munched
through the lot.
Stupid carrots. :-(
Old 02-07-2012, 10:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Spider" wrote in message
On 02/07/2012 13:41, Baz wrote:
] wrote in ]:

[...]

But I find carrot seeds so small that they are impossible to sow thinly. I
considering trying to make myself one of those "seed tapes" by using
tweezers at home, but haven't followed up the idea.

Old 02-07-2012, 10:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Christina Websell wrote:
Just worth adding that the main reason for sowing thinly is to avoid, as
far as possible, having to thin the plants subsequently. This is because
the strong scent of carrot foilage will increase during thinning, thus
attracting the dreaded Carrot Fly.

But I find carrot seeds so small that they are impossible to sow thinly. I
considering trying to make myself one of those "seed tapes" by using
tweezers at home, but haven't followed up the idea.

I've been told it's helpful to mix the seeds with sand before sowing.
Old 03-07-2012, 02:31 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
says...

But I find carrot seeds so small that they are impossible to sow

thinly.

Mix them thoroughly with some fine dry sand to "dilute" them, then sow a
scattered pinch of the mixture.

Janet

Old 03-07-2012, 10:30 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Moonraker wrote:
Depends on how old your seed is and what pests you're having trouble with.
I sowed thinly, in cardboard tubes, and 3 out of about 200 came up. Then
I sowed thickerly (!) and I started getting about 1" coming through which
was about a 5% success rate, and then something came along and munched
through the lot.
Stupid carrots. :-(

I love baby carrots, but sadly have given up on them. Whatever I do,
companion planting, avoiding thinning they get ruined by carrot root
fly. I've tried protecting them with fleece, but then they fail to
prosper, I've no green fingers when it comes to carrots! :-((

Me neither. But I think you need orange fingers.
Old 03-07-2012, 12:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

S Viemeister wrote:
Me neither. But I think you need orange fingers.

Or purple ones. I've just bought a bunch of carrots in a range of colours.

The purples are the ones I had that came up then got munched. :-(
The orange just dont' even bother coming up
Old 03-07-2012, 02:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 2 Jul 2012 09:16:46 +0100, Chris ] wrote:

Carrot seed packet says "sow thinly".
Numbers needed!
1 per inch?
4 per inch?
8 per inch?
Or what?

Visualise how big they'll be when they grow and how far apart they
should be. Assume its easier to pull some out than plant some in.
--
http://www.voucherfreebies.co.uk