Old 02-07-2012, 03:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Spider[_3_] Spider[_3_] is offline

Default Quantify "sow thinly"

On 02/07/2012 13:41, Baz wrote:
] wrote in ]:

Carrot seed packet says "sow thinly".
Numbers needed!
1 per inch?
4 per inch?
8 per inch?
Or what?

I say roughly 12 or 13 per inch in the bed.
But the seed is so small that unless you are meticulous in sowing it is
very hard to tell.
My daughter-in-law uses tweezers in bog roll cardboard filled with a mix of
soil and compost. She has the eyesight and patience for it. Not for me, I
just drop a few into them and thin them before planting.

Baz

Just worth adding that the main reason for sowing thinly is to avoid, as
far as possible, having to thin the plants subsequently. This is
because the strong scent of carrot foilage will increase during
thinning, thus attracting the dreaded Carrot Fly.

--
Spider
from high ground in SE London