Old 03-07-2012, 10:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jake Jake is offline

Default Evening visitors

On Tue, 3 Jul 2012 19:23:26 +0100, "Alan Holmes"
wrote:

"Jake" wrote in message
.. .
On Sun, 24 Jun 2012 20:12:51 +0100, David Hill
wrote:

I use 2 hanging baskets on edge to partially protect my feeders
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...012/Feeder.jpg

I use a cat! The regulars seem to know he won't go for them and often
ground feed well within striking distance but he doesn't like magpies
(which are my main feathered bane here). If another cat appears in the
garden whilst birds are on the table he chases it out and then returns
to his usual spot where he does a sphinx impression and watches the
comings and goings.

Oh yes, he's good at getting grey squirrels too!

Please, please, please, can I borrow him?

Alan

If you think I'm letting this chap out of my care you've got another
thing coming. You wouldn't believe how protective he is of his bird
table - chasing any interloping cat out of the garden if it dares to
look at it. But he's bringing grey squirrels back (all with the same
clear nip on the back of the neck) at the rate of about 1 a week. TBH,
we like the squirrels playing in the garden but evidently cat knows
better.

He's good at getting moles as well, by the way. He'll suddenly rise up
on his haunches and stare at a bit of ground. As soon as the bugger
breaks surface he's had it.

Cheers, Jake
Urgling from the East End of Swansea Bay. We don't yet have a
"dah dah dah dah dee dee deeee" theme tune but we're working on it.

Can't tell astilbe from aranthus
But I can from an acanthus!