Old 23-06-2012, 09:09 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Evening visitors

9 p.m. when I am having a last potter about the garden before bed time our
visitors arrive, a flock of jackdaws can be heard before being seen. They
circle around the garden and paddocks before sweeping off to visit some one
else. We have been here nearly 14 years and this is the first year this has
happened. We have plenty in the chimneys, maybe the word has gone around
that we are jackdaw friendly people :-)

kate

Old 24-06-2012, 04:01 PM
Registered User

Location: Bedfordshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate Morgan View Post
9 p.m. when I am having a last potter about the garden before bed time our
visitors arrive, a flock of jackdaws can be heard before being seen. They
circle around the garden and paddocks before sweeping off to visit some one
else. We have been here nearly 14 years and this is the first year this has
happened. We have plenty in the chimneys, maybe the word has gone around
that we are jackdaw friendly people :-)

kate
They're driving me mad at the moment, they've learnt how to perch on the fat-ball feeder and it's a case of peck, peck, peck, suck and they fly of with half a fat-ball in their beaks. I've tried putting the big plastic sprung plant clips all over the feeder but no help so I've left the nets on for now which does slow them down a bit. :-(
Old 24-06-2012, 08:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 24/06/2012 16:01, Granity wrote:
Kate Morgan;962662 Wrote:
[...]

I use 2 hanging baskets on edge to partially protect my feeders
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...012/Feeder.jpg

Old 24-06-2012, 08:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 24 Jun 2012 20:12:51 +0100, David Hill
wrote:

I use 2 hanging baskets on edge to partially protect my feeders
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...012/Feeder.jpg

I use a cat! The regulars seem to know he won't go for them and often
ground feed well within striking distance but he doesn't like magpies
(which are my main feathered bane here). If another cat appears in the
garden whilst birds are on the table he chases it out and then returns
to his usual spot where he does a sphinx impression and watches the
comings and goings.

Oh yes, he's good at getting grey squirrels too!

Cheers, Jake
=======================================
Ethiopian proverb: When spiders unite they can tie down a lion!

Urgling from the East End of Swansea Bay. We don't yet have a
"dah dah dah dah dah dah dee" theme tune but we're working on it.

I can't tell an astilbe from an aranthus
but I can from an acanthus!
Old 25-06-2012, 08:12 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

I use 2 hanging baskets on edge to partially protect my feeders

Thanks, what a good idea, I will do that this sunny morning :-)

kate

Old 03-07-2012, 07:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

I use 2 hanging baskets on edge to partially protect my feeders
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...012/Feeder.jpg

I use a cat! The regulars seem to know he won't go for them and often
ground feed well within striking distance but he doesn't like magpies
(which are my main feathered bane here). If another cat appears in the
garden whilst birds are on the table he chases it out and then returns
to his usual spot where he does a sphinx impression and watches the
comings and goings.

Oh yes, he's good at getting grey squirrels too!

Please, please, please, can I borrow him?

Alan

Old 03-07-2012, 10:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 3 Jul 2012 19:23:26 +0100, "Alan Holmes"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

I use 2 hanging baskets on edge to partially protect my feeders
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...012/Feeder.jpg

I use a cat! The regulars seem to know he won't go for them and often
ground feed well within striking distance but he doesn't like magpies
(which are my main feathered bane here). If another cat appears in the
garden whilst birds are on the table he chases it out and then returns
to his usual spot where he does a sphinx impression and watches the
comings and goings.

Oh yes, he's good at getting grey squirrels too!

Please, please, please, can I borrow him?

Alan

If you think I'm letting this chap out of my care you've got another
thing coming. You wouldn't believe how protective he is of his bird
table - chasing any interloping cat out of the garden if it dares to
look at it. But he's bringing grey squirrels back (all with the same
clear nip on the back of the neck) at the rate of about 1 a week. TBH,
we like the squirrels playing in the garden but evidently cat knows
better.

He's good at getting moles as well, by the way. He'll suddenly rise up
on his haunches and stare at a bit of ground. As soon as the bugger
breaks surface he's had it.

Cheers, Jake
Urgling from the East End of Swansea Bay. We don't yet have a
"dah dah dah dah dee dee deeee" theme tune but we're working on it.

Can't tell astilbe from aranthus
But I can from an acanthus!