Old 07-07-2012, 12:45 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens
Bob Hobden[_3_] Bob Hobden[_3_] is offline

Default Can anyone tell me what this is called please

"Carol Taylor" wrote
'joevan[_3_ Wrote:
;963649']On Fri, 06 Jul 2012 18:21:36 -0400, Dan Espen

wrote:
-
joevan
writes:
-
On Fri, 6 Jul 2012 10:15:09 +0000, Carol Taylor
wrote:
-

I bought a small evergreen tree at least ten years ago. It has flowers
on the underside of the branches in May/June and is very slow growing
more out than upwards. However, unfortunately, it was being obscured by
a cherry tree, so I decided to replant it, but alas it looks to be
dying, but I cannot remember the name of it. Can anyone identify it
please.-
Maybe it is a spruce but hard to tell from you photo.-

Evergreen that flowers?

The flowers rule out spruce.

The photo is a bad joke, not even going to try to guess.-
I didn't read the text very well did I.

Hi, thanks for all your replies, yes, terrible photo, sorry about that,
it poured down all day yesterday when I took it, so have been out and
taken a better one, plus a close up. The "flowers" were perhaps tiny
cones, that were pinkish purple on the underside. Hopefully someone can
now identify it.

Well it's a fir tree so no flowers only cones, probably Picea pungens "
Montgomery" but there are also some Abies species that are grey leaved.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.