Old 22-04-2003, 07:32 PM
Jane Ransom

Default Composting Leaves

In article , janet.bennett janet@ben
nett2075.freeserve.co.uk writes
I collected a quantity of beech leaves last autumn and placed them in an
old dustbin (holes in the side - covered with lid) but they don't seem to be
rotting down. Can someone give me advice on the following :

How long does it take for them to rot down?
Was I suppossed to add an an activator?
Do they need to be really 'wet' or 'just moist?

If you add a little freshly cut grass to them and mix it all up really
well, keeping it just damp, you should have some leaf mould in a year.
You need a couple of good handfuls of grass per bin bag - so you can
extrapolate for a dustbinfull.

We tend to add our leaves to the compost heap. We mix last year's leaves
(which we collected and bagged in the autumn) in with this year's grass
cuttings for spreading on the flower beds next year.
--
Jane Ransom in Lancaster.
but if you need to email me for any other reason,