Old 22-04-2003, 08:56 AM
janet.bennett

Default Composting Leaves

I collected a quantity of beech leaves last autumn and placed them in an
old dustbin (holes in the side - covered with lid) but they don't seem to be
rotting down. Can someone give me advice on the following :

How long does it take for them to rot down?
Was I suppossed to add an an activator?
Do they need to be really 'wet' or 'just moist?

Old 22-04-2003, 10:20 AM
jane

~
~ How long does it take for them to rot down?
~ Was I suppossed to add an an activator?
~ Do they need to be really 'wet' or 'just moist?
~

At least a year / not necessarily but it helps / keep damp

:-)

I have oodles of sycamore leaves and they take over two years as
they're tough things. After three years of endless sweeping in the
rain and a garage full of bin liners I resorted to a £50 garden vac
with shredder blade to break them down a bit, so I'm hoping that lot
break down faster (they certainly take up less room). I'll let you
know next autumn!!!
Beech may well break down faster, but the rule of thumb is usually a
year.

--
jane

Mark Twain

Please remove nospam from replies, thanks!
Old 22-04-2003, 10:20 AM
Paul Kelly

"janet.bennett" wrote in message
I collected a quantity of beech leaves last autumn and placed them in an
old dustbin (holes in the side - covered with lid) but they don't seem to

be
rotting down. Can someone give me advice on the following :

How long does it take for them to rot down?
Was I suppossed to add an an activator?
Do they need to be really 'wet' or 'just moist?

2 years minimum

I find that spreading leaves on the lawn and running over a couple of times
with a rotary mower to cut the leave small accelerates the process.

pk

Old 22-04-2003, 10:32 AM
Stephen Howard

wrote:

I collected a quantity of beech leaves last autumn and placed them in an
old dustbin (holes in the side - covered with lid) but they don't seem to be
rotting down. Can someone give me advice on the following :

How long does it take for them to rot down?
Was I suppossed to add an an activator?
Do they need to be really 'wet' or 'just moist?

I've found it takes well over a year to rot leaves down.
The rotting process works best when the leaves are damp - not soggy,
and definitely not dry.

His Bobness, Duke of Flowerdew, recommends stuffing leaves into
binliners. Poke a few holes in the liners, wet the leaves thoroughly,
leave to stew for a year or so.

Leaves tend to rot down slightly differently from garden compost in
that it's more of a fungal process - but it never hurts to apply a
little activator in the form of a bucket of urine ( which is free! ).

Regards,

www.shwoodwind.co.uk
Old 22-04-2003, 06:44 PM
swroot

wrote:

[...]

I just rake them all into a binliner sans holes while they're still
moist, pack them down firmly, then tie the binliner and leave it stacked
out of sight for a couple of years. Makes lovely crumbly brown stuff.

regards
sarah

--
"Great is truth, but still greater, from a practical point of view,
is silence about truth." Aldous Huxley

Old 22-04-2003, 07:32 PM
Jane Ransom

In article , janet.bennett janet@ben
nett2075.freeserve.co.uk writes
I collected a quantity of beech leaves last autumn and placed them in an
old dustbin (holes in the side - covered with lid) but they don't seem to be
rotting down. Can someone give me advice on the following :

How long does it take for them to rot down?
Was I suppossed to add an an activator?
Do they need to be really 'wet' or 'just moist?

If you add a little freshly cut grass to them and mix it all up really
well, keeping it just damp, you should have some leaf mould in a year.
You need a couple of good handfuls of grass per bin bag - so you can
extrapolate for a dustbinfull.

We tend to add our leaves to the compost heap. We mix last year's leaves
(which we collected and bagged in the autumn) in with this year's grass
cuttings for spreading on the flower beds next year.
--
Jane Ransom in Lancaster.
but if you need to email me for any other reason,

Old 22-04-2003, 11:32 PM
bnd777

I too mix leaves in with grass and shrub shreddings etc add the accelerator
and turn twice during the year .......after that compost is perfect crumbly
brown stuff

Old 23-04-2003, 09:58 PM
Natalie

" I had a peek in one of the bags, the few holes haven't made much
difference by the looks of it - the leaves have effectively blocked
them up.
I also have a heap of leaves enclosed in a chickenwire cage - both the
bags and the heap have been standing over a year now, and the bagged
leaves are in a far more advanced state of decomposition.

Regards,

Autumn/Winter 2001 some children, at the school I work, collected leaves
from the park next door the school. These were stored in black plastic bags
with holes cut in them.

In February this year we checked the bags and discovered that not much had
happened to the leaves so we moved them to the compost bins where,
hopefully, they are rotting away amongst the half eaten fruit (our school is
part of the National Fruit Scheme), shredded garden prunings and shredded
paper.

Natalie

Old 26-04-2003, 08:08 PM
gastropod

An elderly gardening client of mine asked one year to spread all the leaves
collected from his lawns over the veggie beds. I did so, within three
months all the leaves were worm food: literally! So I would suggest to
simply mulch with them, they will retain water in the turned soil and feed
the worms.
Neil

Old 12-06-2003, 06:11 PM
Registered User

Location: London

I collected all of mine in a big bin liner. Then I get a pair of old garden shears and absolutly pulverize them into little pieces.

That reduces 3 bags into only 1 bag full.

Then hose them down with water, get a kitchen glove and mix it all in proper making sure every leaf is wet. Add some grass clippings and then stack the bags on top of each other.

They will be ready in less than a year. I checked recently, the fungus has set to work, ants, woodlices etc. Most of them are brown some are black.