Old 10-07-2012, 07:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
harry harry is offline

Default ID help needed please.

On Jul 10, 12:50*pm, "Alan (BigAl)" wrote:
http://s1102.photobucket.com/albums/...ion=view&curre....

This spring I found a number of these volunteer plants in a bed where I
had sown some veg. They are about a foot tall. Have purple stems and a
nice crunchy texture to the leaves. The taste is mildly peppery, and
they are great in salads.

I can only think that they may have come from a pack of mixed salad leaf
seeds that I had the previous year.

I would like to be able to buy seed for the future, so does anyone
recognise these, please.

Al.

You really need to be careful tasting unknown plants, many are
poisonous.
Only a small number of plants are edible.

Some are bitter to discourage grazing.
Some are deadly to kill grazers off. Quite often there is no taste
warning, you just become very ill or die.

We have plenty of deadly plants in this country. Even in the garden
most plants are poisonous.