Old 10-07-2012, 12:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default ID help needed please.

http://s1102.photobucket.com/albums/...rent=salad.jpg

This spring I found a number of these volunteer plants in a bed where I
had sown some veg. They are about a foot tall. Have purple stems and a
nice crunchy texture to the leaves. The taste is mildly peppery, and
they are great in salads.

I can only think that they may have come from a pack of mixed salad leaf
seeds that I had the previous year.

I would like to be able to buy seed for the future, so does anyone
recognise these, please.

Al.
Old 10-07-2012, 01:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Sacha wrote:
http://s1102.photobucket.com/albums/...rent=salad.jpg

This

spring I found a number of these volunteer plants in a bed where I had
sown some veg. They are about a foot tall. Have purple stems and a nice
crunchy texture to the leaves. The taste is mildly peppery, and
they are great in salads.

I can only think that they may have come from a pack of mixed salad
leaf seeds that I had the previous year.

I would like to be able to buy seed for the future, so does anyone
recognise these, please.

Al.

Purple kale?

First one looks like curly kale to me.
Second looks like a weed, and third looks like an anti-salad-theft device.
Old 10-07-2012, 01:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

First one looks like curly kale to me.
Second looks like a weed, and third looks like an anti-salad-theft device.

LOL - you made me check what I had posted then! I have a row of curly
kale in the same bed. It is not that.
The second in the gallery is Alliaria petiolata, or garlic mustard. It
took me a while to find that too.

The third was for the Vectra owners group, when I was seeking help with
the car alarm triggering spuriously. Made me very popular with the
neighbours when it happened during the night!

Al.

Old 10-07-2012, 01:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2012-07-10 12:50:52 +0100, "Alan (BigAl)" said:

http://s1102.photobucket.com/albums/...rent=salad.jpg

does anyone
recognise these, please.

Al.

Purple kale?

Thanks Sacha, searching for images of purple kale shows lots of very
tightly curled varieties, and eventually one that looks similar.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/vegefoodie/4534218054/

I wonder if I can find a source for seeds, or whether I will be be
saving my own.

Al.

Old 10-07-2012, 02:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 10/07/2012 13:11, wrote:
Sacha wrote:
http://s1102.photobucket.com/albums/...rent=salad.jpg

This

spring I found a number of these volunteer plants in a bed where I had
sown some veg. They are about a foot tall. Have purple stems and a nice
crunchy texture to the leaves. The taste is mildly peppery, and
they are great in salads.

I can only think that they may have come from a pack of mixed salad
leaf seeds that I had the previous year.

I would like to be able to buy seed for the future, so does anyone
recognise these, please.

Al.

Purple kale?

First one looks like curly kale to me.
Second looks like a weed, and third looks like an anti-salad-theft device.

2nd pic looks like a seedling of Honesty
I'd go with a form of Kale for the first.
You could always let a couple of the plants you have grow on and go to seed

Old 10-07-2012, 02:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

"Alan (BigAl)" wrote:
http://s1102.photobucket.com/albums/...rent=salad.jpg

does anyone
recognise these, please.

Al.

Purple kale?

Thanks Sacha, searching for images of purple kale shows lots of very
tightly curled varieties, and eventually one that looks similar.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/vegefoodie/4534218054/

I wonder if I can find a source for seeds, or whether I will be be
saving my own.

Ah, try Red Russian kale, which is what I think I must have mislabelled
in the greenhouse!
Old 10-07-2012, 02:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2012-07-10 13:11:33 +0100, said:

Sacha wrote:
http://s1102.photobucket.com/albums/...rent=salad.jpg

This

spring

I found a number of these volunteer plants in a bed where I had
sown some veg. They are about a foot tall. Have purple stems and a nice
crunchy texture to the leaves. The taste is mildly peppery, and
they are great in salads.

I can only think that they may have come from a pack of mixed salad
leaf seeds that I had the previous year.

I would like to be able to buy seed for the future, so does anyone
recognise these, please.

Al.

Purple kale?

First one looks like curly kale to me.
Second looks like a weed, and third looks like an anti-salad-theft
device.

Ah my fault! I only looked at the first pic. I'd agree about the second
plant.

A bit of searching and it looks as if you have Red Russian Kale
otherwise known as Borecole
From http://www.nickys-nursery.co.uk/seeds/pages/vegb.htm
IMAGE
Red Russian Kale Baby Leaf
Grey-green feathery leaves on purple stems add a distinctive shape and texture to the salad bowl and baby leaf salad mixtures. A baby veg that can also be used in stir-frying. Sow thinly late spring 1cm deep.
£0.70 Av 500 seeds

Old 10-07-2012, 06:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default ID help needed please. Thanks all for your help.

I had managed to identify some mixtures which look to contain the right
thing, but David's link takes me to the individual seed packs.

Thanks

Al.

Old 10-07-2012, 07:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jul 10, 12:50*pm, "Alan (BigAl)" wrote:
http://s1102.photobucket.com/albums/...ion=view&curre....

This spring I found a number of these volunteer plants in a bed where I
had sown some veg. They are about a foot tall. Have purple stems and a
nice crunchy texture to the leaves. The taste is mildly peppery, and
they are great in salads.

I can only think that they may have come from a pack of mixed salad leaf
seeds that I had the previous year.

I would like to be able to buy seed for the future, so does anyone
recognise these, please.

Al.

You really need to be careful tasting unknown plants, many are
poisonous.
Only a small number of plants are edible.

Some are bitter to discourage grazing.
Some are deadly to kill grazers off. Quite often there is no taste
warning, you just become very ill or die.

We have plenty of deadly plants in this country. Even in the garden
most plants are poisonous.