Old 22-04-2003, 08:32 PM
The Devil's Advocate

Default Too early for dhlias?

I noticed that one of mine is shooting through on the allotment so I will
have to look out for frost. Can you put them out in the pots in the day so
that they can get accustomed to the weather and whip them in night times if
frost is likely? Also beware of slugs

Neil Jones wrote:
: Hello everybody
:
: I've been lurking for quite a while and learning loads but now I have
: a question of my own.
:
: A few weeks ago I was walking round a garden centre and a dahlia
: display caught my eye. I ended up buying three packs of tubers - D.
: 'Weissensee', D. 'Esther' and D. 'Jeanne d'Arc'. I didn't really know
: what to do with them, but the book said to start them into growth in
: seed trays of multipurpose compost, so that's what I did.
:
: Anyway, fast-forward to today and Weissensee has put on about 15cm of
: top growth, Esther about 5cm and Jeanne d'Arc is just starting to
: sprout.
:
: Is it too early to plant these out yet? I'm concerned that they'll get
: hit by frost if I plant them now but on the other hand I put 2 tubers
: in each seed tray (3 for Weisensee, since that was what was in the
: pack) and if I leave them too long I imagine the roots will get all
: intertwined and I'll check their growth when it comes to putting them
: in the ground.
:
: I'm in Kent, by the way, so I've apparently I've got at least 3 weeks
: before the frost risk has passed.
:
: Many thanks for any insights
: