Old 12-07-2012, 06:00 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
songbird[_2_] songbird[_2_] is offline

Default Gardeners

barbie gee wrote:

whatcha need?

Nothing really, it has just been so hot here I have been inside too
much. The weeds have taken over and the plants are turning brown and I
just can't take the heat and humidity. Either I am getting old or it
is worse this year

i suspect it is both, since we get older every year!

and for me it's a few lbs heavier which makes me
tolerate heat less. good thing the heat is here as
i'm finally able to peel off that extra winter weight.
but when it gets to be near 90 i feel it much more
than i did previously. it hasn't helped to have the
AC on as that makes it way too easy to not sweat it
off. still drink a lot of water and stay in midday
for a siesta. this is when i get caught up on
e-mail, usenet, reading and other frogging around.

we have drought conditions in Chicagoland, and it's hard to keep up
watering. I've let the lawn go dormant. Keeping the trees and perennials
watered is my main focus.

much the same here. about 2-3 inches of rain the
past 8wks. i'm glad now that many plants are big
enough to have deep roots. i water deeply and less
often. also glad to see the soil mostly covered
by green (beans, tomatoes, onions, chard, beets,
peppers all going gonzo). will be out watering
tomorrow or Saturday.

songbird