Old 12-07-2012, 10:29 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
songbird[_2_] songbird[_2_] is offline

Default Gardeners

wrote:
songbird wrote:

....drought...

Â* much the same here. Â*about 2-3 inches of rain the
past 8wks. Â*i'm glad now that many plants are big
enough to have deep roots. Â*i water deeply and less
often. Â*also glad to see the soil mostly covered
by green (beans, tomatoes, onions, chard, beets,
peppers all going gonzo). Â*will be out watering
tomorrow or Saturday.

Remind me again where you are? Sometimes I think you are in western
North Carolina and other times I don't. I am in south eastern North
Carolina with no rain. Fortunately we live on a lake and use it for
the irragation system. UN fortunately the lake is down about 20 inches
so boating is a bit of an issue

i'm east and north of Chicago by several hours as
the crow flies and probably a few hours north and a bit
west of Pat in Plymouth, MI if i swoop in her direction.
or, mid-Michigan... look up Brant, MI, we are close to
there.

i did live in the hills of eastern TN for a few years,
but that was quite a while ago now (loved swimming in
the Watauga Resevoir and hiking the AT for day hikes...).
remember very well how fast that resevoir water level
would sink in the dry summers.

the water situation here is ok at present in terms
of the well. it is pretty deep. still we try to not
overdo it when it comes to irrigation since the plants
do so much better on rain water. there are also two
almost constantly running ditches, but these are
agricultural runoff and so i would want to set up a
wetland to filter the water before using it in the
gardens.

songbird