View Single Post
  #12   Report Post  
Old 13-07-2012, 03:49 PM

First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Jul 2012
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianb View Post
Well here is something to start with.
Not in proportion but you can get the idea.
I suggest to have the whole of the lawn lifted.
I have shown a small lawn, I know it has to be mown but as a texture a well kept lawn is unbeatable. Small and easily mown.
A circle is marked, a trench is dug filled with concrete then bricks are laid. Charcoal is probably best colour. The turf is then laid.
The remainder of the area is covered in weed control fabric. Allows water to drain through but prevents weeds from growing. Great stuff! This is then covered in chippings.
You can then either place pots with plants in or plant some permanent perennials. These will take care of themselves and grow every year.
To plant these all you need to do is cut an X in the fabric. Dig a hole and place in some compost. Stick the plant in, firm in place , fold the fabric back and replace the chippings. Easy peasy.

Now I know some of these flowers will attract bees especially the lupins. They love them. That's why I have placed the swing seat away from them. But really bees will never sting you. They go about their business of collecting nectar and unconsciously picking up pollen to cross pollinate the plants. Where would we be without those wonderful little insects! Perhaps you will grow to love them.
Obviously more plants could be added. I have only given a few suggestions.
Only maintenance required is to cut the little lawn. This could of course be replaced with artficial grass which is very realistic nowadays.
Also the flowers could also be replaced by foliage only plants, but what a shame that would be.

Ian
Hi Chris I am trying to motivate you. Awaken you from your slumbers.
I have even a drawn a pictorial view of what your garden might look like. Can you not just imagine sitting on that bench (cushion under) with your kindle and a cup of tea. I've even split the garden in two so that it could be two stage project.
Attached Thumbnails
Could you design a garden for someone who hates gardening? Any ideas?-garden-isometric.jpg