Old 27-02-2003, 07:22 PM
K30a

Default pond baseball

BV wrote my new pond hole keeps getting buried
under more and more snow

Our pond took several summers to build.
Most of its pre-water life the hole spent its time as
a boys only or girls only fort. Many caves and super
secert lairs where dug into its sides to hide action
figures and rock monsters. A whole batch of puppies
used it for their base for puppy wars, their beagle mother
liked to herd them in there so she could watch them
from the side - kindof like a puppy playpen.
Many excuses were found for not digging the pond
this weekend, next weekend, a whole month of weekends.
- grass needed cutting, always. Too many rocks,
maybe some of these rocks were Indian artifacts (the
famous Kennewick Man skeleton was found about five
miles from our house), maybe these rocks were Kennewick
Man's kitchen utensils. Too hot, too cold, too windy.
Finally I took to watching HGTV where every garden had
a pond. I called it 'the everybody has a pond but me' channel.
All ponds seem to be done in a day.
Time had come for drastic action. I started getting lily divides from Jan and
filling up the children's toy tubs with water to store them.
The labrador started eating the lilies. Clearly they would be
safer in the pond?
DH enslaved the children and the pond was finished in a week.
The labrador still ate the lilies but there was water
in the backyard - this is soooooooo cool!!!
I even managed to earn $75 by writing up the building
of the pond saga and selling it speciality magazine of Better
Homes and Gardens. Its in a file here somewhere......

k30a