Old 22-04-2003, 09:20 PM
Robert Flory

Default Home made mixture to raise KH+GH?

Mid posted....
" wrote in message
om...

Unless you are in parts of NE Wyoming where MgSO4 is common in the

water,
then it is rough in the short run.

Very:-) Makes you wonder how the first folks that lived there found
out the hard way.

Frequent trips to the outhouse for the first two weeks. Them most get used
to it. Interestingly...coffee made with the water is has twice the effect
of
plain water.
I know a number of rift cichlids that do well in high SO4, K+, Ca,
Mg, CO3, levels even if you depress the pH with CO2.
Folks worry too much about pH IMO.

So the Angel breeder down the street tells me, his breed in 7.4 to 7.8
water, right from the tap.

I've been through Gillette,(few folks stop there except to see Devil's
Tower) and most of WY. Mg SO4 content can have plenty to do with
fish/plants.

Wonderful place, in my previous life I made obscene amounts of money
supervising oil drilling in the area while playing most of the time in the
nearest creek with my boys. My boys and I knew ever snake, lizard and
turtle in the area. They have some huge turtles in really tiny creeks in
that area.

I forgot to mention the Cl2 from the CaCl2 might be worse actually
than the Dolomite.

Powdered dolomite would be perfect I think and it's cheap(not sure
about powdered form).

Better than the CaCl2 and MgSO4 mix if they want KH as well.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Maybe I missed it here or on aquatic plants... What is you thesis on? As
my boys and I learned, falling off logs is half the fun ;-) Sometimes, I
think when I retire, I'll go back to school ;-)

Bob