Old 18-07-2012, 04:46 PM posted to rec.gardens
Brooklyn1 Brooklyn1 is offline

Default Base for decking

On Wed, 18 Jul 2012 09:25:06 +0000, Spennomort
wrote:

Hi - I am looking to install some decking to replace old unsightly
concrete and part of my lawn. I have removed the concrete and turf for
the intended area but am finding that the ground beneath is a little
soft and not draining particularly well.
I never had any problems with the previous concrete so am a little
concerned about how to achieve a firm base for the decking.
My plan is to put down a layer of pea gravel as a base and also mount
the decking on paving slabs (400mm square). However, is there anything
else anyone can recommend to give my decking a solid foundation.
Thanks in anticipation

Decking supports are typically mounted to concrete piers... you can
make your own but it's far easier to buy them ready made. I prefer
the floating construction rather than having a deck bolted to a house.
Pea gravel under a deck will retain moisure and present a mosquito
problem... gravel should be illegal as a landscape material anyway, it
migrates everywhere.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_19070-1662-D...13 302&rpp=24
http://www.deckplans.com/how-it-works