Old 18-07-2012, 10:25 AM
Registered User

Default Base for decking

Hi - I am looking to install some decking to replace old unsightly concrete and part of my lawn. I have removed the concrete and turf for the intended area but am finding that the ground beneath is a little soft and not draining particularly well.
I never had any problems with the previous concrete so am a little concerned about how to achieve a firm base for the decking.
My plan is to put down a layer of pea gravel as a base and also mount the decking on paving slabs (400mm square). However, is there anything else anyone can recommend to give my decking a solid foundation.
Thanks in anticipation
Old 18-07-2012, 04:46 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Wed, 18 Jul 2012 09:25:06 +0000, Spennomort
wrote:

Hi - I am looking to install some decking to replace old unsightly
concrete and part of my lawn. I have removed the concrete and turf for
the intended area but am finding that the ground beneath is a little
soft and not draining particularly well.
I never had any problems with the previous concrete so am a little
concerned about how to achieve a firm base for the decking.
My plan is to put down a layer of pea gravel as a base and also mount
the decking on paving slabs (400mm square). However, is there anything
else anyone can recommend to give my decking a solid foundation.
Thanks in anticipation

Decking supports are typically mounted to concrete piers... you can
make your own but it's far easier to buy them ready made. I prefer
the floating construction rather than having a deck bolted to a house.
Pea gravel under a deck will retain moisure and present a mosquito
problem... gravel should be illegal as a landscape material anyway, it
migrates everywhere.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_19070-1662-D...13 302&rpp=24
http://www.deckplans.com/how-it-works
Old 18-07-2012, 05:18 PM posted to rec.gardens

Spennomort writes:

Hi - I am looking to install some decking to replace old unsightly
concrete and part of my lawn. I have removed the concrete and turf for
the intended area but am finding that the ground beneath is a little
soft and not draining particularly well.
I never had any problems with the previous concrete so am a little
concerned about how to achieve a firm base for the decking.
My plan is to put down a layer of pea gravel as a base and also mount
the decking on paving slabs (400mm square). However, is there anything
else anyone can recommend to give my decking a solid foundation.
Thanks in anticipation

Where are you?

If your ground freezes you need to dig holes below the frost line and
pour cement into sonotubes.

--
Dan Espen
Old 18-07-2012, 05:55 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Wed, 18 Jul 2012 12:18:11 -0400, Dan Espen
wrote:

Spennomort writes:

Hi - I am looking to install some decking to replace old unsightly
concrete and part of my lawn. I have removed the concrete and turf for
the intended area but am finding that the ground beneath is a little
soft and not draining particularly well.
I never had any problems with the previous concrete so am a little
concerned about how to achieve a firm base for the decking.
My plan is to put down a layer of pea gravel as a base and also mount
the decking on paving slabs (400mm square). However, is there anything
else anyone can recommend to give my decking a solid foundation.
Thanks in anticipation

Where are you?

If your ground freezes you need to dig holes below the frost line and
pour cement into sonotubes.

By using floating pier construction that's no longer true.
Old 19-07-2012, 02:41 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

Spennomort writes:

Hi - I am looking to install some decking to replace old unsightly
concrete and part of my lawn. I have removed the concrete and turf for
the intended area but am finding that the ground beneath is a little
soft and not draining particularly well.
I never had any problems with the previous concrete so am a little
concerned about how to achieve a firm base for the decking.
My plan is to put down a layer of pea gravel as a base and also mount
the decking on paving slabs (400mm square). However, is there anything
else anyone can recommend to give my decking a solid foundation.
Thanks in anticipation

Where are you?

If your ground freezes you need to dig holes below the frost line and
pour cement into sonotubes.

By using floating pier construction that's no longer true.

In most jurisdictions, building a deck requires a building permit: and
the local permits office can usually advise free about alternative
foundation methods (e.g. deck blocks or sonotubes. The former
are preferred here on sand and Leda clay, despite frost a yard
deep in winter.)

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Old 19-07-2012, 08:41 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Thu, 19 Jul 2012 09:41:58 -0400, "Don Phillipson"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

Spennomort writes:

Hi - I am looking to install some decking to replace old unsightly
concrete and part of my lawn. I have removed the concrete and turf for
the intended area but am finding that the ground beneath is a little
soft and not draining particularly well.
I never had any problems with the previous concrete so am a little
concerned about how to achieve a firm base for the decking.
My plan is to put down a layer of pea gravel as a base and also mount
the decking on paving slabs (400mm square). However, is there anything
else anyone can recommend to give my decking a solid foundation.
Thanks in anticipation

Where are you?

He's obviously in the UK.

If your ground freezes you need to dig holes below the frost line and
pour cement into sonotubes.

By using floating pier construction that's no longer true.

In most jurisdictions, building a deck requires a building permit: and
the local permits office can usually advise free about alternative
foundation methods (e.g. deck blocks or sonotubes. The former
are preferred here on sand and Leda clay, despite frost a yard
deep in winter.)

The OP is in the UK. There are few places in the UK that receive hard
frosts let alone heaving freezes. And were there zoning laws there
about how one must fabricate deck post anchoring he'd not be asking
here.... he's merely asking for DIYer recomendastions based on folk's
direct experience. In the US a permit for adding a deck is for
property tax purposes unless it involves swimming pools/hot tubs,
etc., typically no one from the building department comes out to
inspect deck fabrication unless it's physically connected to the house
(one of the main reasons floating piers were developed), only
occasionally do they manually measure square footage, but usually
additions/area is determined from periodic aerial photography. I
doubt many if any municipalites in the US have general deck code per
se, only in special circumstances such as set backs from property
lines, and as most DIYers don't apply for permits the zoning officer
will catch you later, usually a couple three years later and then the
town will reassess your property and make it a bit to the high side so
as to collect for the years you cheated. They'll rarely fine the
DIYer but they certainly will a contractor.

[IMG] code is On

Re DECKING Advice Len United Kingdom 0 22-02-2004 09:02 PM
Decking RD United Kingdom 4 20-09-2003 03:32 PM
Decking and turfing - help! have they done it right? xtinexoop United Kingdom 2 08-05-2003 10:44 AM
Membrane, decking timber etc Dave United Kingdom 0 19-03-2003 01:44 PM
FA: Decking A Practical Step by Step Guide ripper United Kingdom 0 28-01-2003 08:31 PM