Old 18-07-2012, 05:18 PM posted to rec.gardens
Dan Espen[_2_] Dan Espen[_2_] is offline

Default Base for decking

Spennomort writes:

Hi - I am looking to install some decking to replace old unsightly
concrete and part of my lawn. I have removed the concrete and turf for
the intended area but am finding that the ground beneath is a little
soft and not draining particularly well.
I never had any problems with the previous concrete so am a little
concerned about how to achieve a firm base for the decking.
My plan is to put down a layer of pea gravel as a base and also mount
the decking on paving slabs (400mm square). However, is there anything
else anyone can recommend to give my decking a solid foundation.
Thanks in anticipation

Where are you?

If your ground freezes you need to dig holes below the frost line and
pour cement into sonotubes.

--
Dan Espen