Old 19-07-2012, 03:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sue[_11_] Sue[_11_] is offline

Default "Jolly Bee"

"Sacha" wrote
I've ask Ray for some, Janet and he'll see what can be done without
killing the whole thing! It does spread but is mound forming, too,
if that makes sense. Certainly, when Ray planted it, it was 'Jolly
Bee'. This whole name/plant thing can get irritating. Ray has a
variegated Bilbergia staring us in the face but Wisley told him it
doesn't exist! Apparently, a couple of people have said that, in
their opinion, Rosanne and Jolly Bee are entirely different plants,
even though the flowers are so similar. As you say, one ismound
forming and the other is straggly. Also, Jolly Bee seems to flower
for much longer. I'm so sorry to hear of this, poor Judy. Do give
her our warmest thoughts and best wishes.

I have this plant which was bought as Rozanne (from Blooms GC iirc) and
would also describe mine as a fairly vigorous, mounding spreader - like
yours it seems to do both. It does flower for a long time, well into
autumn, and the individual flowers are larger than e.g. Johnson's Blue
and make a good show for months.

It's confusing - Carol Klein once said Jolly Bee was in her opinion the
better one, so she must have though there's a difference but now plant
science has declared them the same, apparently.

--
Sue