Old 23-04-2003, 01:08 AM
Emrys Davies

Default Time to take cuttings?

'Estee',

Far too early to take cuttings of Weigela because the growth is too soft
at the present time. Take your cuttings, with a heel from half-ripened
lateral non-flowering shoots , in June or July and they will root quite
easily.

In the winter protect your rooted cuttings from the severe weather by
covering your coldframe with carpets or whatever it takes to protect
them from severe frosts. It may well be that you will decide to move
them into a garage, shed, porch or even a coldish bedroom or the like
just to enable them to survive during the most severe weather
conditions.

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

"Estee" wrote in message
s.com...
I always read that late summer is the time to take cuttings from

shrubs
and perennials. Last year I lost most of my cuttings over the winter.

Is there any reason why I can't take some cuttings from some of the

new
shoots coming up? In particular I'm thinking of Weigela.
--
Estee