Old 06-08-2012, 01:52 AM posted to rec.gardens
Farm1[_4_] Farm1[_4_] is offline

Default Liquifying food scraps for fertilizer

"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message
Dee wrote:
Due to various reasons I am unable to keep a compost pile. Each week
I throw out a small plastic bag of vegetable peelings and scraps. I
had the idea of pureeing them, either in a blender or a food
processor or both, maybe diluting it with water, then using the
result as fertilizer in my garden. Just wondering if anyone has
tried this?

Dee

It would be simpler to just roughly chop them roughly by hand while you
have the knife in your hand and then bury them weekly. You can put them
in unused ground or in between shrubs, trees etc, even alongside annuals
if you don't damage the roots. They will decompose and enrich the soil,
no smell and less chance to attract vermin.

I have also burried a big bottomless plastic pot up to the rim int he garden
and put chopped scraps into it. i drilled big holes all roudn the side of
it in multiple places and use an old 1950s/60s era metal hub cap from a
Holden as a lid. The idea behind it was to be a worm farm for free range
worms. In reality, I forget to give it enough liquid so it's only an
intermitent worm station.