Old 05-08-2012, 03:51 PM posted to rec.gardens
Dee Dee is offline

Default Liquifying food scraps for fertilizer

Due to various reasons I am unable to keep a compost pile. Each week I
throw out a small plastic bag of vegetable peelings and scraps. I had
the idea of pureeing them, either in a blender or a food processor or
both, maybe diluting it with water, then using the result as fertilizer
in my garden. Just wondering if anyone has tried this?

Dee
Old 05-08-2012, 05:51 PM posted to rec.gardens

Dee wrote:

Due to various reasons I am unable to keep a compost pile. Each week I
throw out a small plastic bag of vegetable peelings and scraps. I had
the idea of pureeing them, either in a blender or a food processor or
both, maybe diluting it with water, then using the result as fertilizer
in my garden.

what do you grow?

if you are growing the same kinds of vegetables
there can be some disease/pests transmission if
you are using unsterilized materials.

Just wondering if anyone has tried this?

no, i have not. it takes quite a bit to
puree a stem from a woody plant. i think
the energy involved and the damage to the
machine/blades makes this an expensive and
intensive way to recycle scraps (not counting
the cleanup too).

check out worm composting. for the amount
of scraps you are talking about you could
probably get by with one or two small bins and
the amount of processing isn't too bad (no more
than you'd be doing if you were feeding and
cleaning a puree machine and digging a trench
to cover the slurry).

songbird
Old 05-08-2012, 07:46 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 5 Aug 2012 14:51:17 GMT, Dee wrote:

Due to various reasons I am unable to keep a compost pile. Each week I
throw out a small plastic bag of vegetable peelings and scraps. I had
the idea of pureeing them, either in a blender or a food processor or
both, maybe diluting it with water, then using the result as fertilizer
in my garden. Just wondering if anyone has tried this?

Dee

Tossing raw garbage/sewerage into a garden will cause diseases to
spread. If you have a garden there is no reason why you can't set
aside a small space for composting.
Old 05-08-2012, 09:06 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article , Dee
wrote:

Due to various reasons I am unable to keep a compost pile. Each week I
throw out a small plastic bag of vegetable peelings and scraps. I had
the idea of pureeing them, either in a blender or a food processor or
both, maybe diluting it with water, then using the result as fertilizer
in my garden. Just wondering if anyone has tried this?

Dee

It will work, but may attract unwanted insects, or animals.

During periods when the beds aren't in use, you can also bury kitchen
scraps in 8" - 10" deep trenches. Dig them first, and then fill them in
as you use them.

--
Welcome to the New America.
or

Old 05-08-2012, 11:27 PM posted to rec.gardens

Dee wrote:
Due to various reasons I am unable to keep a compost pile. Each week
I throw out a small plastic bag of vegetable peelings and scraps. I
had the idea of pureeing them, either in a blender or a food
processor or both, maybe diluting it with water, then using the
result as fertilizer in my garden. Just wondering if anyone has
tried this?

Dee

It would be simpler to just roughly chop them roughly by hand while you have
the knife in your hand and then bury them weekly. You can put them in
unused ground or in between shrubs, trees etc, even alongside annuals if you
don't damage the roots. They will decompose and enrich the soil, no smell
and less chance to attract vermin.

Old 06-08-2012, 01:49 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Dee" wrote in message
Due to various reasons I am unable to keep a compost pile. Each week I
throw out a small plastic bag of vegetable peelings and scraps. I had
the idea of pureeing them, either in a blender or a food processor or
both, maybe diluting it with water, then using the result as fertilizer
in my garden. Just wondering if anyone has tried this?

I've done that but only to put the slurry in my worm farm.

Old 06-08-2012, 01:52 AM posted to rec.gardens

"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message
Dee wrote:
Due to various reasons I am unable to keep a compost pile. Each week
I throw out a small plastic bag of vegetable peelings and scraps. I
had the idea of pureeing them, either in a blender or a food
processor or both, maybe diluting it with water, then using the
result as fertilizer in my garden. Just wondering if anyone has
tried this?

Dee

It would be simpler to just roughly chop them roughly by hand while you
have the knife in your hand and then bury them weekly. You can put them
in unused ground or in between shrubs, trees etc, even alongside annuals
if you don't damage the roots. They will decompose and enrich the soil,
no smell and less chance to attract vermin.

I have also burried a big bottomless plastic pot up to the rim int he garden
and put chopped scraps into it. i drilled big holes all roudn the side of
it in multiple places and use an old 1950s/60s era metal hub cap from a
Holden as a lid. The idea behind it was to be a worm farm for free range
worms. In reality, I forget to give it enough liquid so it's only an
intermitent worm station.

Old 06-08-2012, 02:06 PM posted to rec.gardens
Dee Dee is offline

"Farm1" wrote in
:

"Dee" wrote in message
Due to various reasons I am unable to keep a compost pile. Each
week I throw out a small plastic bag of vegetable peelings and
scraps. I had the idea of pureeing them, either in a blender or
a food processor or both, maybe diluting it with water, then
using the result as fertilizer in my garden. Just wondering if
anyone has tried this?

I've done that but only to put the slurry in my worm farm.

Forgot to mention that I would be spreading it on my perennial/shrub
beds.

The scraps generally consist of cucumber peelings, tomato cores, wilted
lettuce leaves and bean sprouts, onion ends, and the like.

I have a blender, so I may give it a whirl pun intended if for no
other reason than to quench my curiosity :-)

Dee