Old 07-08-2012, 10:07 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Moonraker Moonraker is offline

Default Sweet Williams

On 07/08/2012 08:58, mark wrote:
"Jake" wrote in message
On Mon, 6 Aug 2012 21:34:10 +0100, "mark"
wrote:

I've grown a load Sweet Williams this year. They started as a special
offer
for plugs from T&M. Anyway they've finished flowering and my question is:
Will the plants flower again next year or should I get rid of them and
start
again from seed or plugs?

mark

They will probably come back next year however if they do the plants
will be very leggy. It is usually best to treat them as annuals. They
are easy to grow from seed (which is cheaper than plugs).

I've collected the seed heads from them and will have enough seed to fill a
field. Am I right in thinking that they won't flower in the year of
planting?

mark

That is so Mark. I sowed mine earlier in the year, they are now ready to
pot on, then in late summer I will plant them into position to flower
next year. I love them, they flower for ages, and when cut stay fresh
for as long as any cut flower I know.