Old 06-08-2012, 09:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Sweet Williams

I've grown a load Sweet Williams this year. They started as a special offer
for plugs from T&M. Anyway they've finished flowering and my question is:
Will the plants flower again next year or should I get rid of them and start
again from seed or plugs?

mark

Old 06-08-2012, 09:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 06/08/2012 21:34, mark wrote:
I've grown a load Sweet Williams this year. They started as a special offer
for plugs from T&M. Anyway they've finished flowering and my question is:
Will the plants flower again next year or should I get rid of them and start
again from seed or plugs?

mark

YES
If they are not in the way you can leave them, but otherwise get rid of
them and start afresh
Old 06-08-2012, 10:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 6 Aug 2012 21:34:10 +0100, "mark"
wrote:

I've grown a load Sweet Williams this year. They started as a special offer
for plugs from T&M. Anyway they've finished flowering and my question is:
Will the plants flower again next year or should I get rid of them and start
again from seed or plugs?

mark

They will probably come back next year however if they do the plants
will be very leggy. It is usually best to treat them as annuals. They
are easy to grow from seed (which is cheaper than plugs).

Cheers, Jake
=======================================
Urgling from the East End of Swansea Bay where sometimes
it's raining and sometimes it's not.
Old 06-08-2012, 10:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 06 Aug 2012 22:12:26 +0100, Jake
wrote:

They will probably come back next year however if they do the plants
will be very leggy. It is usually best to treat them as annuals. They
are easy to grow from seed (which is cheaper than plugs).

Whoops, did I say annuals? I did, sorry. Treat them as biennials. For
next year, grow from plugs but then if you also sow seed next year you
will have flowers the year after. Then keep sowing seed each year for
a "continuous" show.

Cheers, Jake
=======================================
Old 07-08-2012, 08:53 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David Hill" wrote in message
On 06/08/2012 21:34, mark wrote:
I've grown a load Sweet Williams this year. They started as a special
offer
for plugs from T&M. Anyway they've finished flowering and my question
is:
Will the plants flower again next year or should I get rid of them and
start
again from seed or plugs?

mark

YES
If they are not in the way you can leave them, but otherwise get rid of
them and start afresh

Thanks. I'll see if I can find somewhere to park them until next spring.

mark

Old 07-08-2012, 08:58 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

I've grown a load Sweet Williams this year. They started as a special
offer
for plugs from T&M. Anyway they've finished flowering and my question is:
Will the plants flower again next year or should I get rid of them and
start
again from seed or plugs?

mark

They will probably come back next year however if they do the plants
will be very leggy. It is usually best to treat them as annuals. They
are easy to grow from seed (which is cheaper than plugs).

I've collected the seed heads from them and will have enough seed to fill a
field. Am I right in thinking that they won't flower in the year of
planting?

mark

Old 07-08-2012, 10:07 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

I've grown a load Sweet Williams this year. They started as a special
offer
for plugs from T&M. Anyway they've finished flowering and my question is:
Will the plants flower again next year or should I get rid of them and
start
again from seed or plugs?

mark

They will probably come back next year however if they do the plants
will be very leggy. It is usually best to treat them as annuals. They
are easy to grow from seed (which is cheaper than plugs).

I've collected the seed heads from them and will have enough seed to fill a
field. Am I right in thinking that they won't flower in the year of
planting?

mark

That is so Mark. I sowed mine earlier in the year, they are now ready to
pot on, then in late summer I will plant them into position to flower
next year. I love them, they flower for ages, and when cut stay fresh
for as long as any cut flower I know.

Sweet Williams? Bill P. United Kingdom 9 29-07-2010 10:51 AM
Sweet williams problems Anthony United Kingdom 0 25-09-2004 03:00 PM
Camellia Mary Williams Kate Morgan United Kingdom 2 22-07-2004 06:18 PM
Camellia Mary Williams Kate Morgan United Kingdom 3 22-07-2004 12:40 AM
Camellia Mary Williams Kate Morgan United Kingdom 8 21-07-2004 11:26 PM