Old 10-08-2012, 10:42 AM posted to rec.gardens
Kay Lancaster Kay Lancaster is offline

Default Good perennial for indoors and later outdoors?

On Thu, 09 Aug 2012 20:30:50 -0500, Libertarian Lilly wrote:

I don't know how I gave the impression, but didn't intend to.

I want to start some seeds indoors in the fall, use the plants for some
indoor color until spring, then plant and leave them outdoors.

Repeat the cycle the next fall.

Well, I'm still coming up dry. Most cold climate perennials just don't
grow much the first season -- at least on top, where you're looking for color.
Instead, much of the first season growing is concentrated in the roots...
which is why a lot of perennial growers either grow from cuttings or
if they're growing seedlings, use something like Conetainers or DeePots.
In addition, many of the cold hardy perennials have long dormancy periods
or even double dormancy -- the classic example of which is sweet cherry, which
remains dwarf until it's had the right sequence of warm and cold temperatures.

http://carolbodensteiner.com/prairie-spring/ that second photo is what a
new perennial seedling is likely to look like for the first full season.

I truly believe you've got to choose between color and perennial in your
area. Or try some of both and see what gives you pleasure.

Kay