Old 10-08-2012, 02:28 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Good perennial for indoors and later outdoors?

"David E. Ross" wrote :

On 8/8/12 7:10 PM, Libertarian Lilly wrote:
"David E. Ross" wrote :

On 8/7/12 2:42 AM, Kay Lancaster wrote:
Try impatiens (just the regular garden impatiens, not the New Guinea
types) and coleus for starters. Try one each warm white and cool white
T-8 if you can't find grow lights. And remember that the light output
of a fluorescent tube declines pretty dramatically in 6 months use or
so, so you may be better off getting some new tubes.

Kay

I always thought of impatiens and coleus as annuals. However, Sunset's
"Western Garden Book" describes coleus hybrids and Impatiens walleriana
(busy Lizzie) as perennials.

The attraction of coleus is its multicolored leaves. To prolong vigor,
flower shoots should be removed immediately when the appear. Even then,
the plant may lose its vigor after a year. Renew it by taking cuttings,
which are easily rooted.

Although Impatiens walleriana is perennial, it is usually treated as an
annual. To maintain long-term vigor as a perennial, it needs to be cut
back often to about 6". It will quickly send out new shoots and resume
flowering.

Are we talking about perennial in the Denver area, not California?

You did mention keeping it indoors during the winter. Of course, few
outdoor plants rarely do well indoors for prolonged periods.

NO, just starting them indoors in fall, keeping them over the winter and
planting outside in spring. Using them for some indoor color in the meantime.

Old 10-08-2012, 02:30 AM posted to rec.gardens

Kay Lancaster wrote :

On Wed, 08 Aug 2012 21:23:33 -0500, Libertarian Lilly
wrote:
Did I menion being in the Denver area?

No, I want something that's a true perennial, down to zone 4, please.

No you don't, at least not if you want it to flower in the normal
growing season. The cold chill is necessary for flowering to be
induced. And ripping up a perennial every year to haul it into the
house is likely to kill it in a very short period of time.

Kay

I don't know how I gave the impression, but didn't intend to.

I want to start some seeds indoors in the fall, use the plants for some
indoor color until spring, then plant and leave them outdoors.

Repeat the cycle the next fall.

Old 10-08-2012, 10:42 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Thu, 09 Aug 2012 20:30:50 -0500, Libertarian Lilly wrote:

I don't know how I gave the impression, but didn't intend to.

I want to start some seeds indoors in the fall, use the plants for some
indoor color until spring, then plant and leave them outdoors.

Repeat the cycle the next fall.

Well, I'm still coming up dry. Most cold climate perennials just don't
grow much the first season -- at least on top, where you're looking for color.
Instead, much of the first season growing is concentrated in the roots...
which is why a lot of perennial growers either grow from cuttings or
if they're growing seedlings, use something like Conetainers or DeePots.
In addition, many of the cold hardy perennials have long dormancy periods
or even double dormancy -- the classic example of which is sweet cherry, which
remains dwarf until it's had the right sequence of warm and cold temperatures.

http://carolbodensteiner.com/prairie-spring/ that second photo is what a
new perennial seedling is likely to look like for the first full season.

I truly believe you've got to choose between color and perennial in your
area. Or try some of both and see what gives you pleasure.

Kay