Old 12-08-2012, 02:51 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
gregz gregz is offline

Default Japanese egg plant recipes?

John wrote:
We happened to get a couple of mystery plants amongst our Hungarian (hot
banana) pepper seedling purchase this spring. After fruiting and much
googling found that they are Japanese egg plants. Hadn't heard of them
before but they are very healthy and producing 18"- 24" skinny egg plant fruit.

Tried an Italian style casserole using them (tomato sauce and lots of
cheese), it was OK, but the meat variety is tastier. Plus they scorched
on the bottom, so cooking temps were obviously too high.

They are still producing fruit so can anyone recommend a good recipe?

By the way, it was a great year for peppers in SW Pennsylvania, best crop
I have ever had. 65 or so surviving plants have produced 4 dozen quarts
of pepper rings so far with more on the way.

Thanks,
John

I only planted tomatoes, late, just coming around. Neighbor down the street
always has basket of tomatoes out on curb. 25 cents each. Today got 2
tomatoes, 2 cucumbers, 1 green pepper, cost $1. In SWPA.

Greg