Old 11-08-2012, 02:08 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Japanese egg plant recipes?

We happened to get a couple of mystery plants amongst our Hungarian (hot
banana) pepper seedling purchase this spring. After fruiting and much
googling found that they are Japanese egg plants. Hadn't heard of them
before but they are very healthy and producing 18"- 24" skinny egg plant
fruit.

Tried an Italian style casserole using them (tomato sauce and lots of
cheese), it was OK, but the meat variety is tastier. Plus they scorched
on the bottom, so cooking temps were obviously too high.

They are still producing fruit so can anyone recommend a good recipe?

By the way, it was a great year for peppers in SW Pennsylvania, best
crop I have ever had. 65 or so surviving plants have produced 4 dozen
quarts of pepper rings so far with more on the way.

Thanks,
John
Old 11-08-2012, 02:18 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
John wrote:

Japanese egg plants. Hadn't heard of them
before but they are very healthy and producing 18"- 24" skinny egg plant
fruit.

They are still producing fruit so can anyone recommend a good recipe?

Peel, slice, couple of drops of oil to each face, bake (325-350 - 10
minutes or so depending on thickness - don't let them burn) eat. Turn
halfway if so inclined, or don't. If you only have dark baking
sheets/pans, try some aluminum foil outside on the bottom to help with
scorching.

My mother was prone to "blistering" the skin off over flame, which is
one reason I hated eggplant at home - the foulness of burnt skin got in
the flesh. Just peeling it completely off before cooking makes all the
difference to me.

Old 11-08-2012, 04:03 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Sat, 11 Aug 2012 09:08:42 -0400, John wrote:

We happened to get a couple of mystery plants amongst our Hungarian (hot
banana) pepper seedling purchase this spring. After fruiting and much
googling found that they are Japanese egg plants. Hadn't heard of them
before but they are very healthy and producing 18"- 24" skinny egg plant
fruit.

Tried an Italian style casserole using them (tomato sauce and lots of
cheese), it was OK, but the meat variety is tastier. Plus they scorched
on the bottom, so cooking temps were obviously too high.

They are still producing fruit so can anyone recommend a good recipe?

By the way, it was a great year for peppers in SW Pennsylvania, best
crop I have ever had. 65 or so surviving plants have produced 4 dozen
quarts of pepper rings so far with more on the way.

Thanks,
John

Here's one that's always a hit when we serve them. Plus, you can use
both your eggplants and your peppers.

@@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format

Feta & Herb Eggplant Rolls

Appetizers

3 Asian-type eggplants; ends trimmed
2 tablespoons olive oil
salt & pepper
roasted sweet red peppers; cut in strips
1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
1/4 cup herb & garlic cream cheese
3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
36 arugula leaves
12 wooden cocktail picks
2 tablespoon balsamic vinegar

Cut eggplant lengthwise into six slices each, about 1/4 inch thick.
Discard outside slices or use for some other purpose.
Brush both sides of slices with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and
pepper. Cook on a lightly greased grill on medium heat for about 5
minutes until browned. Let stand until cool.
Place one strip of roasted pepper on each eggplant slice. You can use
either canned and drained or, roast your own.
Combine feta, cream cheese and basil and spread over pepper. Arrange
arugula leaves over top. Roll up eggplant slices to enclose filling,
securing with wooden picks. Arrange rolls, seam side down, on a
serving plate.
Brush with balsamic vinegar. Serve at room temperature.

Notes: Small Plates For Sharing, page 114

Yield: 12 rolls

If you want more recipes, you're sure to find some he
http://aubergines.org/recipes.php
3116 eggplant recipes all under one roof.

Ross.
Southern Ontario, Canada
Old 11-08-2012, 04:49 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYhdVXaEjq4

--
Bill S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden

http://marshallmcluhanspeaks.com/

Old 12-08-2012, 02:51 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

John wrote:
We happened to get a couple of mystery plants amongst our Hungarian (hot
banana) pepper seedling purchase this spring. After fruiting and much
googling found that they are Japanese egg plants. Hadn't heard of them
before but they are very healthy and producing 18"- 24" skinny egg plant fruit.

Tried an Italian style casserole using them (tomato sauce and lots of
cheese), it was OK, but the meat variety is tastier. Plus they scorched
on the bottom, so cooking temps were obviously too high.

They are still producing fruit so can anyone recommend a good recipe?

By the way, it was a great year for peppers in SW Pennsylvania, best crop
I have ever had. 65 or so surviving plants have produced 4 dozen quarts
of pepper rings so far with more on the way.

Thanks,
John

I only planted tomatoes, late, just coming around. Neighbor down the street
always has basket of tomatoes out on curb. 25 cents each. Today got 2
tomatoes, 2 cucumbers, 1 green pepper, cost $1. In SWPA.

Greg

Old 29-09-2012, 08:06 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 8/11/2012 9:08 AM, John wrote:

We happened to get a couple of mystery plants amongst our Hungarian (hot
banana) pepper seedling purchase this spring. After fruiting and much
googling found that they are Japanese egg plants. Hadn't heard of them
before but they are very healthy and producing 18"- 24" skinny egg plant
fruit.

Tried an Italian style casserole using them (tomato sauce and lots of
cheese), it was OK, but the meat variety is tastier. Plus they scorched
on the bottom, so cooking temps were obviously too high.

They are still producing fruit so can anyone recommend a good recipe?

By the way, it was a great year for peppers in SW Pennsylvania, best
crop I have ever had. 65 or so surviving plants have produced 4 dozen
quarts of pepper rings so far with more on the way.

Thanks,
John

As a follow up we tried some egg plant recipes found on the internet and
decided that Japaneses (Asian style) egg plant is not our cup of tea. I
think the biggest problem is that we never really decided when they
were ready to eat. When they are purple they don't have much flavor and
when they turn white they are over-ripe. There is probably a sweet spot
in there somewhere but we failed to figure it out.

As far as the peppers that I mentioned are concerned, I canned nearly 60
quarts of rings and gave away enough fresh picked peppers to make
another dozen or so quarts. Since I now have put up way more than I can
eat I would hand them out as Christmas presents but obviously not all
would appreciate the gift

Thanks again,
John