Old 19-08-2012, 03:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Pam Moore[_2_] Pam Moore[_2_] is offline

Default Raspberries

On Sun, 19 Aug 2012 12:18:45 +0100, Roger Tonkin
wrote:

How have your respberries been this year?

Mine are disapointing and confusing. After last winter, some of the
summer fruiting canes just died, others have fruited, but not heavily.
Strangely, some of the new canes, for next year, have also fruited this
year whilst quite short (turning them into autumn fruiting) so I am a
bit short on canes for next summer!

The autumn fruiting variety are coming into production now, but are
quite short, around 3ft, rather than the normal 5-6ft. so it looks as f
they will not crop heavily either.

As both types are around 17 years old, perhaps it is time to dig them
all out and start again!

I only have Autumn fruiters which did very well last year, and having
been completely neglected, have spread to about twice the size of
patch and are 5 - 6 feet high. I've only kept the allotment on till
now to get the fruit.
However they are only just beginning to flower and I'm worried that I
may get a repeat of a few years ago when the first frost came just as
the first fruit were ripening!
Time will tell!

Pam in Bristol