Old 20-08-2012, 01:21 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Billy[_12_] Billy[_12_] is offline

Default sweetcorn help

In article ,
jason2234 wrote:

My sweetcorn are going great this year despite the weather. However I've
got a small problem

On all the hobs (or is it cobs?) The stingy bits have been eaten by
something. By the millions of slugs I seems to have on my allotment this
year I'm assuming it's them. Hopefully they've already been pollinated.
So far I have peeled back the skin to let more of the stringy bits out.

Any more advice? Has this happened to anyone else?

Go to a nursery and ask for a snail/slug bait in which the active
ingredient is "iron phosphate" (actually it is ferric phosphate, but
that's another story). It is safe for vegetables. Non-poisonous to pets,
unless you have a pet gastropod. It is even a food supplement for
humans, but deadly to snails/slugs. Forty-eight hours later, 98% of you
slug and snail problems will be history. You will need to reapply every
couple of weeks, but gives nearly 100% protection.

You can still peel back the jacket of the corn a wee bit, and brush the
the tassels against the silks to pollinate the corn. A lot of work, but
you'll get a crop.

--
Welcome to the New America.
or