Old 21-08-2012, 12:04 PM
Iqbal Khan Iqbal Khan is offline
Registered User

Location: West London

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixel View Post
Hi all.

I love the look of bonsai trees and have always fancied getting some, but don't know how easy they are to look after. How much extra maintenance do they need than your average house plant? Do they last a long time if well looked after?

Thanks
I have just joined this forum and am very passionate about Bonsai trees.
If you do not have a bonsai tree, you first need to decide either on and indoor or outdoor bonsai. Then its a question of choosing one which would be ideal for new comers/beginners in Bonsai. As you have mentioned house plants, I am assuming that you are looking to acquire an indoor tree. I would suggest a ficus for your first indoor bonsai tree. You need to make sure that you find a good location where it gets plenty of light and air. You will need to water it, just like a house plant and in summer feed it with fertilizer such as grow-more. In the summer months you will need to prune the new growth other wise it will end up like a bush. Pruning the new growth is fairly simple task. Every two to three years it will need to be re-potted and the roots pruned by about a third. For the first re-pot, I would suggest that you take it to a local bonsai Nursery and they will do it for you for a small charge and you can see how its done and it you wish to do this your self in the future, then you will need to invest in a few beginners Bonsai tools.

I am a bonsai collector and grower and recently turned Bonsai Centre Retailer.
I am in the West London area and will be happy to help if you are within easy travelling distance. My site is: mikbonsai trees South West London | Unique bonsai trees for unique customers

I hope this information is helpfull.