Old 24-08-2012, 09:59 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David Hill David Hill is offline

Default Serious weedkiller required

On 24/08/2012 09:26, Jeff Layman wrote:
On 23/08/2012 22:42, nigelwright7557 wrote:
I have some plants growing which seem to be hardly affected by weed
killer.
The plant doesnt have leaves but grows voraciously everywhere.
I have tried Roundup and numerous glyphosate weedkillers but all they
seem to do is slow it down and not kill it.
Does anyone have any suggestions to get rid of these plants ?

Are you referring to Horsetail (Equisetum)?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equisetum

If so, then any weedkiller which is absorbed through leaves will have a
problem, as Horsetail has a tough outer coating which glyphosate fails
to penetrate. The best way to deal with this is to crush the stems and
then spray glyphosate. You will probably have to do this several times
to get rid of the plants completely.

If you don't care about any other plants where these are coming through
you could use weedkillers which are absorbed through the roots, but they
will kill anything else around too. If you can't to this, or what you
have isn't Horsetail, you'll have to let us know what weed you are
referring to.

As we keep on saying, a picture would help.