Old 23-08-2012, 10:42 PM
Registered User

Default Serious weedkiller required

I have some plants growing which seem to be hardly affected by weed killer.
The plant doesnt have leaves but grows voraciously everywhere.
I have tried Roundup and numerous glyphosate weedkillers but all they seem to do is slow it down and not kill it.
Does anyone have any suggestions to get rid of these plants ?
Old 24-08-2012, 09:26 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 23/08/2012 22:42, nigelwright7557 wrote:
I have some plants growing which seem to be hardly affected by weed
killer.
The plant doesnt have leaves but grows voraciously everywhere.
I have tried Roundup and numerous glyphosate weedkillers but all they
seem to do is slow it down and not kill it.
Does anyone have any suggestions to get rid of these plants ?

Are you referring to Horsetail (Equisetum)?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equisetum

If so, then any weedkiller which is absorbed through leaves will have a
problem, as Horsetail has a tough outer coating which glyphosate fails
to penetrate. The best way to deal with this is to crush the stems and
then spray glyphosate. You will probably have to do this several times
to get rid of the plants completely.

If you don't care about any other plants where these are coming through
you could use weedkillers which are absorbed through the roots, but they
will kill anything else around too. If you can't to this, or what you
have isn't Horsetail, you'll have to let us know what weed you are
referring to.

--

Jeff
Old 24-08-2012, 09:59 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 24/08/2012 09:26, Jeff Layman wrote:
[...]

As we keep on saying, a picture would help.
Old 24-08-2012, 11:47 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 23/08/2012 22:42, nigelwright7557 wrote:
I have some plants growing which seem to be hardly affected by weed
killer.
The plant doesnt have leaves but grows voraciously everywhere.

I think you need to describe the plant rather more completely.
Know your enemy to determine how to defeat it effectively.

I have tried Roundup and numerous glyphosate weedkillers but all they
seem to do is slow it down and not kill it.

What does "it" look like.

Does anyone have any suggestions to get rid of these plants ?

Glyphosate is extremely potent. It will kill most green plants on
contact with the exception of very waxy, waxy hairy or silica coated
ones and in my experience for reasons that I cannot fathom buttercup
which suffers a severe growth check but reroots and lives to fight
another day.

*Identify* the weed first and then look for something to kill it.

Regards,
Martin Brown

Old 24-08-2012, 04:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 08/24/2012 12:47 PM, Martin Brown wrote:
On 23/08/2012 22:42, nigelwright7557 wrote:
I have some plants growing which seem to be hardly affected by weed
killer.
The plant doesnt have leaves but grows voraciously everywhere.

I think you need to describe the plant rather more completely.
Know your enemy to determine how to defeat it effectively.

I have tried Roundup and numerous glyphosate weedkillers but all they
seem to do is slow it down and not kill it.

What does "it" look like.

Does anyone have any suggestions to get rid of these plants ?

Glyphosate is extremely potent. It will kill most green plants on
contact with the exception of very waxy, waxy hairy or silica coated
ones and in my experience for reasons that I cannot fathom buttercup
which suffers a severe growth check but reroots and lives to fight
another day.

Yes, buttercup is extremely frustrating. It also loves to grow in the
mulched circles around trees. Roundup actually clears out its
competition, so it's even happier after being treated.

So my question is, what is safe for woody stems and kills buttercup?