Old 24-08-2012, 11:18 AM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baz[_3_] View Post
Because all replies go to gardenbanter and they use our replies to earn
money from advertising on their website. They do not ask any of us if it is
ok to do so, they use our names, ISP and email (if you are daft enough to
give a real email)
No, they don't give your ISP or email. From my point of view it's a downside - when I was on urg, I gave my email as did many others, and it allowed us to talk off group. Now I can only talk to those whose email I already know. I can't send emails to new people, and they can't email me.

Yes they do earn money on your content (presumably - I have scripts disabled so don't see any ads - and they do honour X-no-archive). On the other hand they do perform a useful service in making accessible a newsgroup that most people would ever come across otherwise. Of the people I talk to in everyday life, almost everyone has internet access, but the only ones who have heard of usenet are those that came to the internet over 10 years ago.

It's not just your content they are getting for free - they are also getting mine! They don't pay gardenbanter users either.