Old 24-08-2012, 01:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Moonraker Moonraker is offline

Default Are these slugs doing what I think!

On 24/08/2012 12:47, Jake wrote:
On Fri, 24 Aug 2012 11:13:16 +0100, Moonraker
wrote:

Came across 2 large fat slugs this morning, they were joined head to
head and tail to tail, between them was a large dollop of jelly type
substance. I assumed they were trying to add to the already over
population of slugs in my garden, am I right? anyway a little salt cured
them!

Coitus interrupticus! You could at least have let them finish

What a lot of people don't know is that whilst slugs are
hermaphrodites, it is quite common for a slug to mate as a male only
once. This is because the male bit often gets so tangled up during the
twisting mating ritual that the only way to separate for the
after-cigarette is to chew the willy off. Thereafter the slug can only
mate as a female.

I suppose that's why most slug eggs result from self fertilisation as
it's safer.

Cheers, Jake
Urgling from the East End of Swansea Bay where sometimes
it's raining and sometimes it's not.

Too much information Jake.